Re: Lupins (lupinus) poisonous???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener Annuals Board ]


Posted by Ernie on August 05, 2002 at 09:52:27:

In Reply to: Lupins (lupinus) poisonous??? posted by Tracey on May 06, 2002 at 08:59:54:

: Does anybody know if lupins are poisonous. Does anybody know of a list of non-poisonous plants. Thanks, Tracey

Answer: Yes, some of them. With 200 species in the pea (Fabaceae) family, I know of about 10% that are toxic. The toxicity comes mostly from alkaloids in the plant (Possibly the plants predator defense mechanism). Some lupines are actually grown for food (type of pea) and these have very low or non-existant alkaloids.

Three different types of toxic principles are known with lupine: 1. A nervous response that is seen primarily in sheep and cattle, can cause spells of ataxia, fainting and even death. 2.teratogenic (monster causing)is respondsible for deformed offspring and vary from mild to very severe (die). 3. a lupinosis that is a fungal infection of the lupine plant when damaged and occurs under certain conditions. The toxins of the fungus then become the poisoning agent if the plant is grazed or eaten.

My opinion is the Dose is the Venom. Small amounts of any substance cause relatively small amounts of problems. High doses of any substance cause big problems.

This is a short answer to a very complicated topic.


Follow Ups:

Please post your questions on our new message boards.

This message board will not be maintained and is available as an archive.
Name    : 
E-Mail  : 
Subject : 
Comments: Optional Link URL: Link Title: Optional Image URL:

Special thanks to Jane and Bob Rosi for providing this information.

YMCA Camp Loowit Alumni follow me

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ BackyardGardener Annuals Board ]

WWWBoard © 2001, All Rights Reserved.
Matt Wright and DBasics Software Company at