cmullins04

Meyer Lemon

Rate this Entry
I planted my Monrovia Meyer Lemon 7 years ago. Had lots of fruit 1st year. 2nd year, had a few flowers but the deer got them. Since then I have had NO blossoms and of course, no fruit. I DO have huge thorns on all the stocks. I have removed all the suckers recently and cut the one remaining branch that had very few thorns on it back one third. I have applied citrus fertilizer granules. It is planted in the ground and gets full sun all day. Is there anything else I can do to get fruit again? And is it too late to get fruit this season? I live in Hilton Head, SC.
Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Temperatures between 50-80F though will survive down to 32F

What Meyer lemon trees don't like:
    Wet feet (too much water will kill them)
    Freezing temperatures
    Not enough or too much fertilizer
    Not enough light
    Strong winds

Sun and Temperature: All citrus trees love sun - the more the better. They are happiest in temperatures between 50-80°F. That means, unless you live in USDA zones 9-11, you'll want to bring your Meyer lemon tree inside when temperatures start regularly dipping below 50F. In spring, bring your tree outside, and put it in a sunny protected spot when nighttime temperatures are consistently above 50. It's a good idea to slowly acclimate any plant to outdoor conditions by hardening it off.

How To Grow Meyer Lemon Trees in Garden Pots

According to the USDA, the plant hardiness index for Hilton Head Island, SC is: 8a-8b
    Hardiness Zone Map
    Zone 8: -12 to -7 C (10 to 20 F)
    Zone 9: -7 to -1 C (20 to 30 F)

To Cold?