Sounds like one of the stinkhorn fungi.* They are related to mushrooms and are harmless.* I wouldn't recommend eating it until you know exactly which one it is.* :?* A picture would surely help.* If you have one in your computer please post it or go to a free site like photobucket.com and post it there with a link to here.
Here's some that may be what you see.
Maybe it's some type of club or coral mushroom.
Here's some very interesting stinkhorns.
When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.