Thread: New to ponds

I'm thinking about putting a pond in the backyard and it only gets about an hour of sun in the morning. I want to put in some edible fish (lol I know just about every fish) some oxygenating grasses, duckweed,*and freshwater mussels. Preferably the mussel be native but they can only reproduce when there are certain fish present. Would trout work and could I even keep trout(lake trout) in a 2-3 foot pond? Is there anything else to know?

Thanks so much!

Jstr:)

When you say a 2' to 3' pond I'm thinking you mean the depth.* In your zone it would probably need to be 3' deep for the fish to survive over the winter.* I do have some concerns with the lack of sunlight.* I'm not sure an hour of sun will be enough for most plants to survive.* I don't think I'd plant duckweed, even to feed the fish.
    http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/weed_control.htm
    http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/duckweed.htm

Newt

Sorry, I thought I put that in there, it's depth. And my zone is actually 8, I can't figure out how to change it. I don't think I've ever seen more than an inch of ice here. The duck weed would be harvested to feed the ducks but only 2-3 ducks and they'd be fed more vegetables beside the duckweed, would that be enough to keep it from growing over too much?

Thanks!

Jstr, you can change your zone by clicking on 'My Account' near the top of the page.* Then click on 'Profile'.

I don't think 2 or 3 ducks will be enough to control the growth.* I'd rather see you grow veggies for the ducks.* It's safer and less chance of the duckweed escaping into the environment.* It could get on their feet and legs and spread from there.* I get nervous when people plan on using invasives.* Life has a way of changing and sometimes folks either lose interest or move on.* Whoever comes along next might not have the same enthusiam or knowledge to care for an invasive plant.* How about some native grasses or sedges that the ducks would eat?* You would need to put them in pots with stones on top of the soil so the ducks can't completely rip them up if your pond isn't an earthen one.

Do you already have the ducks?

Newt

[align=left]It's tough having a pond.* You'll have to provide oxygen and verify the PH is correct for the fish you would like to host.* Then there ulcers fish get if the salt level isn't correct.** Sorry, but my pond is a pain.[/align]

No I plan on getting the duck in may-june if all gos smoothly. They will be getting plenty of veggies too. So should I use a pond to help feed my ducks?

Thanks!

I don't see why you couldn't use the pond to add to the diet of your ducks.* Once you know which breed you will have you can research what they like to eat.* Then you will have a better idea of what to plant.

Newt

It's so simple I don't know why I didn't think of it before! Thanks again!

Been there, done that... That happens to all of us!* :shock:

Newt