Is is ok to leave what is left of potting soil in outside plastic containers over the winter to use for next year's annuals or should I empty them, clean containers, and start with* fresh potting soil next summer.

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Shar,

It's recommended that you empty the soil and discard, clean the pots and start with fresh soil next year.* In my larger pots that I leave outside I don't do that.* I just take out some of the soil in the spring that has lots of roots and add some bagged compost and mix.* Critters will live in the potting soil, but I don't mind if they're good critters.* I've never had a problem.* One of my pots is a large cement one that has Johnny jump ups and they come back every year.* I leave the soil and just add some organic fertilizer in the spring.

Newt

[align=left]If you have moisture in the soil, you have to consider the pot*could crack over the winter months.[/align]

Good point!* I forgot to mention that as some of my plastic pots have cracked that way.

Newt

What if you are planting veggies what about that soil?

Redhatlady,

I would definitely recommend replacing the soil for veggies and using organic potting soil as well.

Newt