Thread: Moon Gardening

Placement of the moon in the heavens through astrology is not the same as it's physical placement through astronomy. In earlier times, farmers used a solar, lunar and astrological calendar to ensure the proper planting period for their gardens and fields. Here in the U.S. Benjamin Franklin published the first horoscopes in his Philadelphia daily, which included a monthly entry concerning gardening.

Planting
    The water signs are the best for planting. When the moon is in Cancer, Scorpio, or Pisces are the best times. But Taurus, Virgo and Capricorn can be follow-up alternatives.

Weeding and Plowing
    When the moon moves into Aries, Gemini, Leo Sagittarius and Aquarius, remove weeds and inspect your plants for pests.

Transplanting and Grafting
    Transplanting and Grafting are best done when the moon enters Cancer, Scorpio and Pisces.
    Pruning
    Pruning is best done during Aries, Leo or Sagittarius. Try to schedule your pruning during a waxing moon to encourage growth.
    Keep it clean and mended
    Clean out your shed during a Virgo moon to help the work move along smoothly. Mend fences, gardening stakes and beds during a Capricorn moon.

[align=left]great plant for moonlight is moonflower.* soak seed 24 hours before planting.* vine grows fast -- very fragrant and beautiful in moonlight.[/align]

Interesting* way of gardening, thanks for the scoop.I have been curious* about moon gardening but never had the time to actually research it.

Wondering if someone (s) actually did an extended scientific, documented research with results on sowing veggies this way.

And was wondering how it would work in different zones due to differences in temperature and soil elements.

Would you happen to have* leads to where I may find these test results?

Thank you.

Kale:)

Blog Entries
    I've planted moon flowers before. The vine grew up the railing of my front porch. It was beautiful. and could also be enjoyed in the early morning :)