Thread: caterpillars

I have found three caterpillars about two inches long walking on the floor tiles on my roof terrace I don't seem to have any on my plants*but am concerned they will eat them as I am unsure what they are*,* can anyone help please*?*

morinja

Hi Morinja,

I see you were able to update your location info.* GREAT!* :)* Do keep in mind that caterpillars will become either butterflies or moths.* Not all are bad guys.* I plant extra parsley because it's the larval food of a local butterfly.* I don't mind a few chewed leaves when it means I'll have butterflies in my garden to pollinate plants and give me 'eye candy'.** If you would like to try and id your caterpillars you might be able to using these sites.* This first one is about host plants.* At the bottom of the page there are internet resources for searching.
    http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curati...ts/hostplants/

You might also try a google search with words such as:
    caterpillar + Spain

Newt

Hi Newt many thanks for your info* hope these little creatures are pretty butterflies as we have dozens climbing up the walls now ,*but I grow parsley*so they will be welcome on my*roof*

have never seen so many before you give great information:D

morinja

Morinja, you are very welcome.* I hope you can find out which butterfly or moth they become and I hope they aren't too destructive.

Newt