Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hello.

I have grape hyacinths in my front yard in front of my boxwood bushes and around my paper bark maple.* It seems their greenery never dies and gets longer and longer!!* My yard is growing dreadlocks!!!

When would it be safe to remove this greenery without damaging the bulbs?* I'm guessing about two months after blooming or after the seed pods open.

For that matter, how about tulips and daffodils?* This is much easier as their greenery does die off.*

Hi Methos,

Remove the spent leaves of bulbs after they have turned yellow.* The leaves feed the bulbs for the following years flowers.* It's best to plant bulbs mixed in with perennials or shrubs so their yellowing foilage is hidden by the new plant growth.

Newt

Good idea.* Thanks Newt!

You are so very welcome!* I forgot to mention that planting annuals where you have spring bulbs isn't the best idea.* The bulbs go dormant for the summer and most annuals need lots of water which isn't good for the bulbs.

Newt

[align=left]um...newt....would this apply to bluebells also?* i have some very sad looking ones in my garden, which are over their flowering, and look like elderly ladies with curlers in now![/align]
    [align=left]*[/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, you gave me a good giggle with your description!* :D* Yes, that applies to all spring flowering bulbs.* Let the foilage turn yellow before removing and best to plant them with perennials or shrubs.

Newt

[align=left]thank you newt!* i will go and attend to my little beauties!* they look like i currently feel!* a bit jaded, and not at their best!* LOL![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, I hope both you and your bluebells are looking better!* * I do understand feeling that way as my recovery is taking so long I'm getting impatient.* :?

Newt

[align=left]newt, i do honestly hope that you are getting better EVERY day.* hope your garden will help you heal.[/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, I'm actually going to drive across town in a few minutes to meet a friend for lunch!* How about that?* I did drive a leg of the pet railroad last weekend and was so exhausted I spent the next two days in bed.* I did take a freind along for insurance in case I got too tired.* Guess I'm still not up to driving long distances, but that type of driving is sooooo rewarding.

Newt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast