Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    [align=left]YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!* that's wonderful news, newt!* i had a heart attack some months back, and didnt even know i had had it!* thought it was indigestion....so i can understand how you are currently feeling!* so glad to hear you are improving![/align]
    [align=left]my grape hyacinths are looking frowsty, so am going to trim 'em tomorrow![/align]
    [align=left]*[/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, so sorry to hear about your heart attack!* :(* I'm thinking you are also a female with your description of indigestion.* My sister had hers that way too.* Women don't get the same symptoms as men.

I learn something new everyday too.* I had to look up the word 'frowsty'.* I'd never heard it before.* Hope they look better now.

Btw, I had a great time! I even bought some annuals for the pots on my front porch.* I will plant them tomorrow and dress up the front door!* :D*

Newt

[align=left]very much female!* yes, it was disconcerting, to say the least!!* but i am pretty good now, and the garden is WONDERFUL!* in your other post, you mentioned hummingbirds.....SOME of us have to go to the ZOO y'know to see 'em!!![/align]
    [align=left]i am jealous![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, I didn't realize hummingbirds are only found in the Americas until you made that statement about having to go to the zoo.* I did find an article that mentions that fossils of hummers have been found in the Old World.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3691169.stm

Four years ago I went to visit my son for 4 months when he was living in Peru.* I was so concerned that my hubby wouldn't make hummingbird food that I cooked up a huge batch and froze it in baggies so he could fill the feeders every few days.* Fortunately I left in August and he only had to keep the feeders filled until mid September.* By then 'my' hummers leave to go to Central and South America and the migrating ones have passed through as well.

I even got to see many different ones as we traveled around South America.* They are amazing little creatures. You can follow the building of a nest and the hatching of the eggs at this site.* Click on 'next page' in the lower right corner of each page.
    http://community-2.webtv.net/hotmail...mmingBirdNest/

Newt

Newt, thanks for the replies.* One more question please.* Is it normal for my grape hyacinths to start growing their greenery in August/September even though they don't flower until Spring?

Many thanks,

Methos65

Hi Methos,

I hope you had a great summer.* I knew what your question would be as soon as you said you had one more about grape hyacinths.* Yes, it's normal for the leaves to sprout at the end of summer.* They will disappear and sprout again next spring.* One thing I like about them doing that is I get to see where new ones have sprouted and can move them before winter.** :)

Newt

[align=left]oooh, jumping in here, sorry.* does one have to move grape hyacinths then?* or can i leave them in the ground?* i have some with which i am delighted (well, did, unless the slugs have abseiled over the fence and had 'em) and wanted them to naturalise.[/align]
    [align=left]*[/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Thanks Newt.* Your replies are always appreciated.**Mine tend to keep their leaves throughout the winter and then bloom in spring.* Makes some nice greenery throughout the winter!!

Sama,* you don't have to move them then.* I just mentioned it because they aren't going to be blooming soon and it would be a good time if you wanted to move them.* They can be moved after bloom as well, but the foilage will need to feed the bulbs for the next years bloom.

Methos,* you are so very welcome!* Wow, yours keep their leaves all winter.* You must be in a warmer zone then I am here in Maryland.* Did you know there's a white variety?* I have a few but they don't seem to spread like the purple ones.

Newt

[align=left]oh good grief!* what do i have to do, newt?* invite them to dinner?* i am a total rookie now - forgotten everything i knew about gardening, after so long without one![/align]
    [align=left]how do you mean the foliage will feed the blooms?* it sounds like a visit to the zoo![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast