Hi,

I read somewhere that once seeds have begun sprouting, it is best to thin them out to avoid overcrowding or competing for food.* I'm specifically refering to my peas, which have sprouted a few inches now.* What is thining, and what does it involve?* Do I have to do this?

[align=left]Hi ChicGardener,[/align]
    [align=left]Typically people refer to thinning when starting seeds in starter trays. When setting up the trays, you often get several seeds per recepticle (for lack of a better word). After the whole trays sprouts, you want to thin out the seedlings so that only one strong plant per starter can compete for nutrients. When you plant them out in the garden, you can then take one plant at a time and space them accordingly. [/align]
    [align=left]The same goes for seedlings that were sown directly in the soil. Too many plants in the exact same spot will compete and not produce healthy plants.[/align]
    [align=left]Hope that helps,[/align]
    [align=left]Patrick - www.IHeartGardening.com[/align]

Hi, thanks Patrick.

Because right now,* they have sprouted as I said, and there is crowding.*** Does this mean I have to scoop them out of the soil and put in other containers and space them in the new containers?* How much space in*between?***

Also, if I can ask in the same post.* One more thing about tomatoes...is it too late to prune them?** I planted them on May 12.* So, it's been nearly 3 weeks now.* They are growing , and have started*to get tiny flowers.**I'm refering to*cherry tomato plants.* I* was thinking of making them into the traditional Y shape, then staking them.

Thanks a million!

ChicGardener,

See if this helps explain it all.
    http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.c...=5440704.22962

Newt