I have a bamboo phyllostachys nigra, had it for about two years since purchase from a garden centre when it was repotted immediately. Should it now require a re-pot or plenty of fertiliser.The leaves are falling a bit but there is signs of new growth I love this plant but not very knowledgeable regarding care, can anyone help please

Hi Mickmick,

If it hasn't been repotted in two years and is dropping yellow leaves, it sounds like it's time for a pot that is 2" larger.* These are generally planted in the ground.* Do read the last post by Douglas Justice of the UBC Botanical Gardens.
    http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...ead.php?t=2542

Sounds like you will need to fertilize a couple of weeks after transplanting.

Newt

[align=left]Newt![/align]

[align=left]You seem like a mine of information. You recently advised me about my Fratillera bulbs. I've logged in*again to get some advise about young Bamboo Plants. I have three very small Black Bamboo plants, I cannot recall the variety. I bought them mail order and potted them on immediately into eight inch pots. They have establisehed themselves pretty well over our pathetic summer with plenty of new growth but I'm uncertain how to treat them over winter. Should I bring them indoors into an unheated conservatory to keep them away from frosts or are they alright outside in a sheltered spot?[/align]

[align=left]*[/align]

[align=left]Dave[/align]

Dave, thanks for the compliment!* :)* Black bamboo is said to grow outdoors where I live in zone 7.* As I remember you are in the UK, most of which is zone 8, a small area that is zone 7 and some zone 9 which is mostly on the western shore.*
    http://www.uk.gardenweb.com/forums/zones/hze1.html

Your bamboo should do fine outdoors in a protected spot.* It would be best if you could bury the pots in the ground up to their rims.* Do keep in mind that black bamboo is a running bamboo and will grow out of their pots and spread.* Do read that link I gave Mickmick.

Newt

[align=left]Thanks again Newt. The zone map is very useful. We live near to the south coast, in Sussex, so we're obviously in zone 8. I live pretty much next to Sheffield Park Gardens, owned and managed by the National Trust. It has fantastic displays in Autumn and Spring.[/align]
    [align=left]Anyway, what do you know about Gunnera? I think it's best I start this in a new topic.[/align]
    [align=left]Regards[/align]
    [align=left]Dave[/align]

Dave, I await your gunnera question.* :)*

Newt