Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    That was a really cool article!* :dude:* He's a really cool guy and been on several tv programs.
    http://www.plantdel.com/Tony/bio.html

Thanks for sharing that with me.* :)

Newt

I have plants that look like that here in washington that I think are native but they don't have seedpods. Instead they have berry that turn colors (as they ripen) from yellow to green to purple.*I have nver seen one growing in the open and dont grow more than10-15 feet tall. Any idea what they could be?

Thanks

Jstr:)

Jstr, you could be seeing elderberry.
    http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/samcn.htm

Pokeweed also comes to mind.
    http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/phtam.htm

Newt

No, the leaves look almost identical to whats above( I say almost because I dont know the size of those leaves). I've seen the just about anywere in western washington under tall evergreens. Although I do think I have seen elderberry around here too.

Thanks!

QUOTE : "That was a really cool article!"

Yeah,* it touched home*a little. Remember my butterfly weed? Well, shhhh...dont tell anyone, but I got that on the side of the road on a SUNDAY morning when all the good people of the world were in church. God forgive me. But I gave it a good home. It probably would have been whacked down heartlessly by the highway maintenance department anyway. And it is actually over the transplant shock, or maybe just the shock of me doing what I did to it.* And....funny how life is....1 month later...dont I go and find a butterfly weed in my own ditch? Well, like I said, God forgive me. I know He will.:?

I don't have any problem with rescuing plants that will be mowed down or dug up for new construction.* See, you performed a rescue!

Newt

I almost dug up daisies from the edge of a construction site but, on the topic of road trips, had a long one ahead of me.:?

Well, reporting good news. Seemed I broke the rules on 2 plants that are hard to transplant due to deep taproot.

1) 4 pots of Baptisia making new leaves like crazy. Actually the very first one I transplanted was what I thought was a sucker, no roots, and the stem turned brown all the way to within 2 inches from the dirt in the pot. That stayed green, and just last week a whole new stem sprouted and today it has about 9 leaves! WoooooHooooo!

2) That butterfly weed I "rescued" went into shock for a while, dont know if it was transplant shock, or just shock that I had the gall to "rescue" it. All the leaves fell off, the stems looked petty bad, but I kept watering on a regular basis. Two weeks ago, new leaves starting sprouting, and just at the beginning of this week, I noticed the flowers are formng, they are still green. So, WoooooHoooo on that one too!

More broken rules

1) Propagation of Four O Clocks. I could not find ANY info that said you could propagate from softwood cuttings, but I tried anyway. The roots formed in just a few weeks and now the plant has a happy home in my new garden. It is blooming regularly.

4) Transplanting Petunias while in bloom. Found 3 in the weedwack zone along the driveway. It was either come with me to the new garden or say Goodbye via the weedwack death. They came with me and they are incredibly happy!! All three are putting out blooms non-stop! My neighbor says she has Petunias that come back every year, so I think these babies are here to stay!

Isn't gardening fun?* I love when I can do things that I'm told can't or shouldn't be done.* My petuias reseeded this year too.* I had planted the purple wave last year and this year some reseeded as white, some as fuschia and some as purple!* I also transplanted the white and purple ones while they were in bloom and they've done just fine.* :)* Today I saw a hummingbird moth sipping nectar from one.

Last year my hubby chose what I call gaudy orange marigolds to plant in the front bed of annuals.* One self seeded and I left it in the garden for him.* Alyssum also reseeded.* I love mother nature's surprises.

I'm really glad to hear that your efforts are going so well.* :D* My hubby tried to help my bad back by weeding and pulled out a huge clump of my Baptisia.* I almost fainted!* :shock:

Newt

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12