I was wondering how to prevent this awful fungus on a patch of bee balm. I am careful not to water them at night. They are in an area which gets air circulation. Any suggestions would be great. They are one of my favorite flowers. Thanks from Coralbelle.

Coralbelle, the best you can do is either grow a variety that is less prone to it, thin out the patch early in the spring so there's more air circulation or use a milk spray to treat the powdery mildew.* Mine gets it too.* My old fashioned tall phlox also suffers from it, but my lilac is ok.* These are plants that are prone to powdery mildew and it seems like there's little one can do to completely prevent it if weather conditions are favorable for it.* Of course cleaning up all fallen leaves immediately and spent stalks in the fall will help.
    http://www.backyardgardener.com/tv/mildew.html

Newt

My peonies have always suffered from terrible fungus/mildew. Nothing else growing around it suffers from it. This spring we decided to try an organic fungicide and it's made a huge difference. You need to start it early in the season before you see signs of it though.

NGA, peonies often get botrytis blight and it's an awful fungus.* Since I share all my secrets, what is the organic fungicide you use?* I'd love to know as mine have it too.

Newt

I should have said that this is not a powdery fungus. We get that too later in summer. This is a black rot of the stem type of fungus. It makes the stem collapse. I do believe my peonies had this black stem rot a few years ago.Thanks , again Coralbelle

The spray we're using is called 'Serenade garden disease control'. It specifically lists: bacterial spot, powdery mildew, rust, gray mold, leaf blight and scab.

Coralbelle, I wonder if you may have a stalk borer.* See any chewed leaves?
    http://www.ct.gov/caes/cwp/view.asp?a=2823&q=377556

NGA, good for you!!!!* Wonderful news.* :D* Thanks for sharing that.

Newt