Thread: Bulb questions

A friend gave me some dry bulbs from her yard. One is a St Josephs Lily, some narcissus, and some various types of jonquils. When can I plant the, how deep, full or part sun, and what about watering, how often? Also, I usually give my plants a shot of root stimulator when I plant them, should I do that with bulbs?

On the root stimulator subject, how often do I need to feed to a newly transplanted plant? Also how often to give to a newly potted propagated plant?

1 more on bulbs....when should I plant these bearded iris I saved from the lawnmower happy husband this spring? I dug them up and have had them in pots since. They never did bloom, but the greens are staying healthy looking.

Thanks in advane for any advice !!!!

DinaJean, I can't keep up with you!!* :shock:* I did a google for your St. Joseph's lily and found it's a hardy Hippeastrum x Johnsonii that is considered a passalong plant.* It can be planted now and should do just fine.* As always, add compost to the planting beds, plant and give them some water.* Bulbs are planted two to three times their width.* Use root stimulator if you like.* Do a google with the botanical name and you should find lots of info on it.

The narcissis and jonquils would do best planted in early fall.* If you do plant them now DO NOT use root stimulator as this is their dormant time.* I'm sure there's several posts here on planting spring flowering bulbs that you'll find most helpful.

As far as using a root stimulator, if you add lots of compost to the planting bed and enridh the soil with organics, you should not need to use lots of fertilizers.* Remember that synthetic fertilizers feed the plant and not the soil and can leave behind residual salts that aren't good for your plants.* That's the white stuff you see accumulate on your pots.* Organics feed the soil which feeds the plants.* If you like you can use it, but I wouldn't overdo it as you can over-stimulate or cause fertilizer burn to your plants.* Once should be enough when planting.

As to the newly potted propagated plant, it would depend on which plant.* You can use half strength every 2 to 4 weeks during spring and summer.* Once fall arrives plants slow down and don't need alot of fertilizer.*

Bearded iris are usually planted in late summer.* You probably won't see flowers for another 2 years.* I would suggest you get them in the ground soon.* Here's a helpful site.
    https://www.cooleysgardens.com/Cultu...2/Default.aspx

Newt

[align=left]Sorry if this is a common question but I've only joined today.[/align]

[align=left]I've got some Fritilleria bulbs, F.Michailovskya to be precise and I don't know which way to plant them.[/align]

[align=left]I've attached a rather poor quality image but is it possible to say from this whether the bulbs as seen are roots up or shoots up?[/align]

[align=left]Dave[/align]

Hi Dave,

I can't quite tell from your picture as it's so small.* You should see two flat sides, one that appears to have a split where the plant will emerge and the other the base where the roots emerge.* If you still can't tell, take a look at these.* They aren't the same variety you have, but they're the best pics I could find.

These are face up where the plant will emerge.* You can see the beginnings of the plant in a couple of them.
    http://www.touchofnature.com/Fall%20..._meleagris.jpg

Same with the bottom picture here.
    http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5125854...laria_Bulb.jpg

If you are unsure, plant them on their sides.* The roots and plant will grow as it's supposed to.* I've done that many times.

I would also suggest that you always post a new question as a separate post.* You have a better chance of getting more answers to your question.

Newt

[align=left]Hi Newt,[/align]

[align=left]Thanks for the reply so quickly. [/align]

[align=left]It's crystal clear from your attached photo's. I was thinking about trying a couple of the bulbs on their sides but your photos solve the problem. I know what to do know.[/align]

[align=left]Just*hope now the british weather is kind to them![/align]

[align=left]Dave [/align]

Dave, you are very welcome!* I'm sure they'll do fine in the UK, most of which is zone 8 and a bit warmer then my zone 7 garden.* They thrive here.* :)*

Newt