Thread: Coral Bells

I am new to this site.* I have 5 coral bells, 2 are chocolate and three are Camel.* One of my carmels is not doing well.* It is planted in the same location as another, but the bottom leaves are dry and does not seem to be growing.* I put deco rock over *the plants and I water everyday.* I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what maybe happening?*

Hi Newbee,

You don't say how you prepared the soil, what the conditions are of the area they are planted (under trees, in a shade garden with other perennials, etc.) or where you live.* Coral bells are woodland plants, and although they like moist soil, watering daily is probably what is wrong.* Unless you live in the desert and are planting in sand or there are masses of tree roots, you should water deeply once a week if you don't get an inch of rain.* Just stick your finger into the soil up to your second knuckle.* If the soil is moist, you don't need to water.

I'm not sure what deco rock is, but if it's large and heavy stones they could be compacting the soil.

Newt

Newbee, I thought I might give some advice since I have over 100 coral bell plants. First, let me say Newt is right about watering everyday. Coral bells are drought tolerant plants. Check to see if the base of the plant is level with the ground as these plants tend to push themselves up and out. Also, after a few years the need to be lifted and divided . Sometimes having rock around plants creates a micro-environment and this maybe causing the leaves to dry out. I find that mulching around the base keeps the moisture and helps prevent heaving during the winter. They are such pretty plants, I was able to find one called "key lime" this year. I hope this helps. Coralbelle

Thanks for the great comments.* I appreciate it and try your suggestions.

Newbee, you are very welcome!

Newt