Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    [align=left]oh help!!* i have a hanging basket full of cherry tomatoes, just outside my back door.* it was going beautifully, until i went outside to water it yesterday, and found browning, yellowy leaves and a very sick looking basket!* [/align]
    [align=left]WHAT HAVE I DONE WRONG, NEWT?* [/align]
    [align=left]they are tumbler cherry tomatoes, planted in the correct soil, watered regularly, and spoken to encouragingly every night!* and they appear to be giving up the ghost![/align]
    [align=left]i don't want to be haunted by protesting cherry tomatoes for the rest of me days....[/align]
    [align=left]gloomily,[/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, sounds like tomato wilt.* That can be caused by several different things.* Take a look here to see what fits what you see happening.* I'll check back later today (tomorrow for you) to see what you've found.* This first one is a US site but has great info and 'the South' here in the US has similar conditions to what you have in the UK.
    http://msucares.com/lawn/garden/msga...05/050620.html

Here's a UK site.* Look especially at tomato spotted wilt.
    http://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile...mato_virus.asp

You can also do a google search with the term:
    tomato wilt + UK

I await your response!
    Newt

[align=left]oh newt, newt, newt!* i haven't got a clue yet!* it's just got dark here, and i can't face the thought of going and looking at them now...deep gloom at possibilities![/align]
    [align=left]i rather think that it may well be tomato wiltus rookieus gardener variety....either i've overwatered or underwatered 'em and i suspect it may be the latter.**oh dear, dear, dear.* and THAT is the polite version of what i just said when i looked at the sites![/align]
    [align=left]so, i have these temperamental 'tumbler' cherry tomatoes, which are facing death by dustbin, i fear![/align]
    [align=left]ho hum...must try harder...must try harder...MUST try harder![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Uh oh, tomato wiltus rookieus gardener variety can be lethal.* :shock:*

I did some googling with the term:
    tumbler cherry tomatoes
    and found some posts that mention that the watering is the main issue with these.* It seems they like water every day and need an inch of space in the top of the pot for the water.* Could yours be rootbound and need a new pot?
    http://seeds.thompson-morgan.com/uk/en/product/820/1

Here's another post I found that says that keeping the soil moist is a problem.* They use a quart of water each time when they water daily.* Could you have yours in a spot that gets some breeze?* That would dry them out a bit too.
    http://www.globalgarden.com/Gardener...ol.1/1482.html

So let me know what you discover when the sun comes up on your side of the pond!

Newt

[align=left]oh dear.* red-face here.* yup.* they are in a hanging basket outside my back door, and DO get breeze.* i don't have room for a greenhouse, or anywhere they would be sheltered.* added to that, i suspect that the water they have been getting is probably NOT sufficient.[/align]
    [align=left]oh deep, deep gloom.* my first batch of cherry tomatoes look as if they are going to feed my green cone, rather than me!* [/align]
    [align=left]you are so right.* gardnerius variety wilt IS lethal!* LOL![/align]
    [align=left]thank you for the info, newt!* i am now going to go and ask them if they would be kind enough to survive long enough to actually grow ONE tomato between them.* otherwise, it's the firing squad for 'em![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, maybe all hope isn't lost yet.* What if you mist them in the morning if the weather forecast is for too much breeze?* Can you put up some lattice to block some of the breeze?* I just can't stand the thought of you not having fresh tomatoes at your door!!* :?*

I do hope your conversation with them is fruitful - pun intended.
    Newt

[align=left]newt, they are beside a six foot fence!* i despair![/align]
    [align=left]:([/align]
    [align=left]i will keep persevering, though, and speak to them sternly![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Hmmm, well maybe if you tell them that Newt's going to take a trip across the pond to 'chew them out', then they will shape up.* *

Can you tell I'm running out of ideas here.* :?*

Newt

[align=left]LOL!* marine-sergeant gardener brigade newt!* i certainly will!* but..... NEWT!* i have FRUIT![/align]
    [align=left]there are THREE TOMATOES - all minute, but they are THERE![/align]
    [align=left]i am cautiously optimistic that they are shaping up and deciding to Do The Right Thing!* LOL![/align]
    [align=left]sama[/align]

Sama, that's great news!!* When you chomp down on that first sweet tomato, think of me.* I just love tomatoes fresh from the bush with the warmth of the sun still on them. *:D Yummy!!

You gave me a giggle with the marine sergeant description.* I once spent a couple of weeks with my daughter and son in law when he was a drill instructor in the Navy.* I never saw anyone work so hard.* After watching him in action with his troops, I came home and told my hubby he should be grateful that I'm not that intense!* ;)*

Newt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast