Thread: coffee grounds

Been reading a little about coffee grounds in the garden. We dont generate a whole lot, 2 cups of coffee a day is all in the household....UNTIL I get to Massachusetts this weekend *to Honeydew Donuts and get my Blueberry Cinnamon Coffee....gonna go on an ice-coffee kick....My question, can I use THOSE grounds in the garden???

Thanks for any info :) :) :) :)

Oh yeah, BTW, Guru, this one's for you.....

I read that ants do not like coffee grounds and I can keep them away by sprinkling around plants. Will this cure my "Continuing" aphid problem on my okra plants? The aphids seem worse and I have been spraying insecticidal soap weekly. Arghhhhhhhh.

Thanks :D*Have a great night. Don't stay up too late...Thats an order!!!!!

You sure can.* All Starbucks will give you their coffee grounds for free.* Take a heavy duty trash bag and maybe a plastic tub.* Just ask at the counter for coffee grounds for a gardener.* You'll be knee deep in free spent coffee grounds in no time.* :dude:* Speaking of which, how's the knee?

I just came back from Rhode Island with my daughter and we took a detour around 'the city' so we wouldn't get tied up in traffic.* We took the Garden State Pky and made a wider loop and went across the Verrazano Bridge.* It was a lovely ride.* I wish I could go with you.* That iced coffee sounds interesting.* I love my coffee.* I'm really spoiled though.* My son sends me the real deal Colombian coffee from Colombia.* It smells like heaven when I open the package.* :D* He's coming home in 2 weeks and it will be the first time in 7 years he's been here for his birthday.* How cool is that?

Not sure about the coffee grounds and the ants, but it's sure worth a try.* I'd love to know if it works.* I know cinnamon or mint will keep them away.* Keeping them away will hopefully allow some predators to clean up the aphids.

Have a safe trip, and if you go up I-95, wave as you go by.* :)

Newt

I will have to scope out some Starbucks around here and do what you say. Thanks for the tip.

The knee is good. I had that one day when I could barely walk, took some Alieve throughout the day, and the next day, the face and the knee was better. I have to laugh at that, all I can think of is my Dad saying "Does your face hurt?" "*Well, its killing me."

Anyway, I will let you know about the ants and the coffee grounds. Have a couple days here before we have to take off.*

Yay about your son coming home for his b-day - so exciting!

Chat soon :)

I did put coffee grounds around the okra and it took a couple of days, but I dont seem to see*the ants anymore.* I actually picked one okra today.* I guess next year I will plant more than 2 plants now that I know the trick to keep the ants away.

That's good to know about the coffee grounds.* Hmm, if you picked your okra today, that means you are already back home.* Guess my reply on another thread about the hydrangeas might be too late.* Well, she can ground air layer them for you if you didn't get cuttings.

Hope you had a wonderful trip!
    Newt

Thanks, it was a fast and furious trip. 2 days of 18 hour drive and 2 days of moving boxes and furniture out of storage! Glad to be back.

Update on the coffee grounds. I have not added anymore since and I still see NO ants AND this was the okra plant of the 2 that was covered with aphids. Now they are gone, too, without the ants. The plant looks incredible!!!! Popping out okras like crazy!* I'll write that in the book for next year!

Wow, wonderful news about the okra and the ants.* I'm going to have to remember that one too.

Your trip sounds like the one I just took.* Did it in 3 days too. Glad you are home safe.* :)

Newt

Caffeine is toxic to slugs and it is likely that coffee grounds will act as a deterrent to them. It's also quite a good soil ameliorant, particularly for plants that like acid soil.

There's more on this here: http://www.simplegiftsfarm.com/coffe...gardening.html

Coffee grounds are also exceptional food for earth worms!* We used to put them where we planned to dig for fish worms & always had a plentiful supply.