Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I trust y'alls advice and suggestions. Take a gander at this link and tell me your thoughts.

http://www.compostinfo.com/tutorial/DogWaste.htm

We have a 6-month old puppy who eats a high-protein puppy food...can you just imagine! I call him the "Mound-dog" instead of the hound-dog! This article sounds good, I think, but we always joked about the thought of it...is it for real? *Would you....??

PS Just have to show him off..... (see what agood garden helper he is...check out that vine he pulled!)

I love him!!* What a handsome guy!* * Was he a rescue?* I'm just a softy for a fuzzy face and 4 paws.*

I read your article and I would be most cautious.* How many of us get the compost heated up that much?* I suppose if yo watched your compost pile and got it good and hot you could use the stuff, but you'd need quite a bit of sawdust.* At least I would with my 4 dogs.

Newt

Actually, the guy who did our cement for the building, who is now a friend of ours...had his pooch with him the whole 2 weeks he was working at our place and he liked the way we treated her, so he offered us the last puppy, which he usually sells. Flattering.*His name is Dusty and he is a Catahoula Leopard Dog. Interesting history on that breed which is not recognized by the AKC.

And the idea of 140 degrees, yeah, guess you made a good point! Guess I will leave that one alone.

Great story about Dusty.* Give him a big hug for me!* Here's my four.* The closest one, the husky, is blind and my most recent rescue.

Newt

They are all so beautiful! And they look so happy! Rescue? from the pound ?

*I cant wait to get moved over to the big place and get Dusty a buddy. He only has 2 cats - one 6-month old kitten who showed up at our doorstep 1 week after Dusty - he was wounded by a gunshot about 3 weeks ago, so he doesn't play with Dusty too much anymore....and the other cat was my Mom's cat, 12 years old who I inherited last year, who is an indoor, one person cat, never been around any other animal and is ORNERY to poor Dusty.

The husky belonged to an elderly couple.* The man passed away 3 years ago and only the woman was with her for a* year.* Then a niece moved in to care for the lady and put the dog in the yard.* When the woman passed away the neice didn't want the dog. She was near death when I went and got her and alot of her hair had fallen out.* My vet said that another week and she would have died.* She was 35 pounds overweight, had an untreated thyroid condition, could barely walk, had untreated diabetes and eyes so infected they were pasted shut.* Her name is Cindy.

The dalmation behind her lived with a military family that moved around alot and the husband was cruely intimidating to him.* He was so neurotic when he came to live with me that he would urinate if you looked at him wrong or raised your vioce.* He was also underweight.* His name is Backdraft.

The brown and black Aussie mix I rescued out of an alley in Baltimore.* The owners had her a year and also had a bull mastif that had mated with her.* When they realized that she was pregnant they threw her out into the alley with the trash and wouldn't let her back in. Some kids had beaten her and shot her.* Four days after I brought her home she had 11 puppies!!* They had named her Precious.* I suppose she was so precious that she was like the trash.

The yellow lab was an engagement gift to a man from his fiance.* The man worked 12 to 18 hours a day and lived with his elderly father who didn't like dogs.* She lived the first 6 months of her life in the basement by herself.* When I got her she was totally unsocialized and had no manners or training, but still loved people.* She had never been to a vet and wasn't spayed. Go figure!* Her name is Newt.* Sound familiar?

I also have 2 cats.* Olivia the mother, is about 17 and was a feral that my daughter, a volunteer firefighter at the time, brought home pregnant with what appeared to be her first litter.* One of the local cops had found her on the street eating trash and brought her to the firehouse.* We kept one of her sons who is totally black with lime green eyes.* He's Mr. Super Cool but we call him Mr. T. or T. Man and his personality is just like Garfield.* He thinks humans are for opening cans of cat food, filling the water dish and opening the front door, thank-you-very-much!* All the techs at my vet love him to pieces.

All the animals have medical issues and my vet and drug bills are through the roof.* Newt the lab has had 5 cancer surgeries and is cancer free.* She has scar tissue on a nerve in her armpit and is managed with meds.* Precious is allergic to wheat and eats special food.* Cindy gets insulin injections twice a day along with special food and thyroid meds.* Backdraft has heart failure and is on 4 different drugs to control the fluids that build up.* Olivia, the mother cat has a thyroid condition and gets liquid meds twice a day and her son has diabetes and gets insulin injections twice a day.* He also has high blood pressure and gets a special liquid med for that.* It's like a pet hospital here.*

I have typed up emergency evacuation instructions in case anyone ever has to evacuate all my animals for me.* The list of where all the meds and needles are seems endless.* It's almost impossible for both my hubby and I to go away together anymore.* We usually hire someone to stay at the house with the animals but they have to know how to give injections.* It's a riot here, but I wouldn't give them up for the world.* I also do volunteer transport of animals for the pet railroad, do home visits for potential adopters and do some computer work to help with whatever needs to be done for different rescue groups.* Can you tell I love animals?

Newt

I love all the stories, although sad, the ending is happy. You are truly awesome!

I guess I don't have the right to call our place the animal house anymore...maybe just a mini-one. How do you fit gardening and foruming into all that????*

:)Truly an inspiration!

You gave me a giggle!* Mini-animal house!* :D* We have a rythum with the dogs and cats and my hubby loves animals as much as I do.* Precious, the one that had the 11 puppies I brought home to just foster her.* He wouldn't let me give her up after we placed the pups.

My garden is small so it doesn't take alot of my time.* Notice what time it is?* That's how I fit it all in.* Now I'm off to catch some zzzz's.

Newt

Oh Newt your dogs are so sweet! Isn't pet love great. I too have a house full of love. Only Monday I had my 19 year old kitty leave to kitty heaven. Thanks for sharing- Coralbelle

Oh, Coralbelle, So sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope you have alot of good memories to make this time bearable.

Thinking of you, Dina

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast