Hi!* I have another question.* I have a New Zealnd Flax that I planted about 3 months ago and it seems like it is doing ok.* It is getting new growth and some strange bubble is growing under the leaves.* I am not sure what it is, it alsmost looks like a mushroom, but then hardened a little bit the next day.* But that isn't my question, but if you know what that is that would be great.* The ends of the leaves are brown and crispy.* I have been trimming the leaves, but I am not sure why they are turning crispy.* Also I don't have the beautiful vibrant color like I used to.* It's kind of yellowish, green.* I fertilized it, but it doesn't help.* The plant looks ok, but I miss that beautiful pink green color.* Oh the plant is planted in sandy soil, I have mulch around it and water it every other day or so in the morning.

I would think that if you planted it three months ago it would be starting to become established.* You may be watering too much at this point.* It would also be most helpful if you know the full names of the plants when you write in.* There are many varieties of New Zealand Flax, but I suspect you have one of the colorful hybrids.* The leaves can revert to green and those should be removed.* Do you know the name of the one you have?* Here's some helpful info on them.* If none of this info points to what you are seeing, lmk.* I don't know that much about these plants, but I can do more research.
    http://www.smgrowers.com/info/flax.asp

I am most curious about the bubble-like growth you have seen.* Is it on the underside of the leaf or under the leaf in the ground?* Can you post a picture?

Newt

I have the 'Sundowner'
    A large upright grower to 7-9 feet tall with 2 1/2" wide bronze-green leaves with rose-pink margins that fade to cream in summer. New foliage is always stunning! Use where there is space. Cut out old foliage.* My plant is a dwarf and will grow only 4'.* Underneath the plant it has a clump of what I think is a new leaves growing or possibly a new plant?* It looks like little barnicals but all clumped together and is the greenish yellow color.* Next to that is that weird growing thing.* I am so not sure what that is.* The first time I noticed it, it was soft and looked like a mushroom.* Now it is getting bigger and looks like the bubble that comes out of a frog.* Both of these things the barnacle and frog bubble is coming out of the ground, right under the leaves at the base of the plant.

Sorry for my weird description.* Maybe my plant is light green, yellowish color because it is turning the cream color due to being summer.

Your description of a barnacle makes me think you have a scale insect.* There are thousands of them, but many look like what you describe.* San Jose scale has been found in California.
    http://insects.tamu.edu/images/anima...orsal_m_01.jpg

This picutre of the scale insect known as Aspidiotus destructor is related to Aspidiotus phormii which attacks New Zeland flax.* I just can't seem to find pics of A. phormii.* Does what you see look anything like this?
    http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov:591/sca...d=33086&-find=

Still not sure of your description of the bubble. Maybe the jell from the leaf of the plant?* Ever see an aloe 'bleed'?* Does it look anything like that?* Can you take a picture?* Maybe with a cell phone?* There is a Syrphid fly grub that has been known to pierce the leaves and the jell of the leaf oozes out.* The grub can be seen here.* It' the longer one that is on a leaf with green aphids.
    http://www.insectimages.org/images/768x512/1328033.jpg

The color change could be from stress, disease, insect pest or overwatering.* It's difficult to say for the moment, but your plant is certainly stressed.

Do you see anything white and fuzzy at the base of the leaves where they meet the stalk that looks anything like these mealybugs?
    http://www.sel.barc.usda.gov:591/sca...d=33443&-find=

Newt

The Barnacles look nothing like that.* It is what looks like new growth coming from the base of the plant in the ground.* I don't have mealy bugs on the plant.* I am pretty anal about looking for insects on my plants.* I have had scale on my Flowering Maple and I difinitly know what they look like.* I am always peeling those stupid things off of my plant.* I really don't think my flax has a desease.*I think I may over or under water the plant. I know it gets sunburn from the sun, so I only water it at 5 in the morning and around the base of the plant.

Thank you so much for your great advise!* I will try to send a picture of my growth in Flax.* It is odd, but intresting.

Well, that's a relief!* * I'd love to see a pic of what you are talking about.*

Newt