Hybrid View

What grows good in the shade?

I'm looking to plant some type of shrub ,bush or small tree on my property line, but it's in the shade ( all day). I would like something that grows aleast 6 foot tall, and if possible something that keeps it's leaves all year round.
    I'm trying to block a view of something, but it is on a property line so I'm looking for something that won't grow to wide. I'm pretty much looking to plant a row of something that will be low maintance and grow nice and thick. I was thinking hedges but I'm afraird that the shade will have them grow in to thin and I'll be able to see through them. I was told by pro's that there really isn't much that will grow in nice and thick being that the area is so shadey. But after looking into it and driving around the neighborhood to see what everyone else is growing in the shade. I'm thinking I can propable grow holly bushs there and I would get the hight and the leaves all year round. But now the question is what type of holly, there are so many of them?

Hi Yellowtang,
    Camellia japonica comes to mind. It is a slow growing evergreen shrub that can be pruned to keep the height and will bloom in fall. It can take full shade. You will need to find ones hardy in your zone.

Yews can grow in full shade, but most of the japonicas - Taxus cuspidata - that I can think of will get very large and will have to be pruned once or twice a year to keep in bounds. You might want to do some research on these. Here's some info, mostly on the English yew.
    http://www.conifers.co.nz/taxus/taxus.html

For hollies that will grow in full shade. Try searching at www.google.com with:
    Ilex + shade

Here's one site I found doing that.
    http://www.beechesnursery.co.uk/Trees/shrubi.htm

Privet or Ligustrum will grow in shade but is an invasive pest in your area.

Newt

Yellowtang, I forgot about the inkberry - Ilex glabra. I have had 4 and two grew in shade. Must have been a senior moment. You will probably need to prune them to keep them in bounds over time, but the ones in the shade did grow slower than the ones in the sun.

Newt