What is the problem with wilting perennial lobelias? I live in zone 5, have a huge lush garden, and have several perennial lobelias planted in rich soil and in partial sun. I water them everyday since they like to be moist. I notice that the very top 3-4 inches of some of them, and the entire plant of others, wilt, and some beyond revival. HELP!! Does anyone know the reason for this occurance? None of my other plants are wilting. Any solutions?

I think you've answered your own question.* You said you have them in rich soil and water them everyday.* They do like moist soil, but not wet soil.* Overwatering can cause wilting too, so unless you just planted them in the last couple of weeks and it's over 90*F, I'd say to water when the soil starts to dry.* If they are established they will do just fine, especially in rich soil which retains moisture.*

We have had barely any rain here in 3 months and I haven't watered my Lobelia cardinalis aka Cardinal flower at all and they're doing just fine.* They've been in the ground for 5 years now.* My Lobelia siphilitica aka Giant blue lobelia is under a tree and in competition with tree roots.* I've only watered them once and they're getting ready to bloom now.* They self seeded in that location also 5 years ago.* Stop watering and I'd bet they perk up.* :)

Newt

Thank you so much Newt, for this reversal of what I THOUGHT lobelias needed. I had read that they like to be planted in very moist soil conditions... NOT what my garden is. That is why I was being so diligent watering them everyday. I will do as you suggest and hope that it is not too late.

You are so very welcome!* Although most lobelias do like moist soil, they don't usually like it wet.* That probably seems like a fine line, but I think yours will perk up now.*

Newt