Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lucky bamboo

Hybrid View

I have a Lucky bambo that i had to split off of the other part because it was growing quickly and , so the other night i noticed the top was totally yellow and the leaves looked bad ! I also have a aloe plant , which my grandmother gave me , which is doing well so far ! I try to keep them all watered and in the* sun at my window in the bathroom , i check on them each night ! Any ideas for the bamboo that looks sad ? :?

Hi Luckybamboo,

Your lucky bamboo isn't a bamboo at all but Dracaena sanderiana.* It's turning yellow because you probably have it in water.
    http://www.plant-care.com/lucky-bamboo.html

It's meant to grow in soil and once rooted, should be watered when the top 2" of soil is dry.* It prefers a bright spot out of direct sun.
    http://mgonline.com/luckybamboo.html

Give your aloe sun and let the soil dry before watering.

Newt

I have both of them in water with rocks! guess they need to get out of sun and into dirt and soil.

You have the aloe in water?* That will cause rot.
    http://www.seedsofknowledge.com/aloe.html

Newt

No , I have the aloe in dirt ! its ok ! Was refering to the other bamboo ! The other one is looking so well i dont want it to die ! I have them both out of the sun !

Whew!* * Glad to hear the aloe is in soil.*

Newt

Just added some soil to the one lucky bamboo , now i have one left to go! So it doesnt require water at all?

Water your lucky bamboo as you would any Dracaena - when the top 2" of soil is dry.* If the root system is small you may need to water a little more often until the roots grow larger.

Newt

ok , so do as the same like i am the aloe* plant just water every other day ?

It would be impossible for me to say how often to water.* That depends on the type of pot you use (clay pots dry out faster then ceramic or plastic as they are porous), the more sun the pot gets the more quickly it will dry and the larger the root system the more often you will need to water.* It's best to water plants as they need it, not necessarily on a schedule unless you know your plants well.* Succulents like Aloe don't need as much water as plants that are not succulent as they retain water in ther leaves and stems.* Knowing the needs of the particular plant is what will determine how often you water.*

Newt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast