Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lucky bamboo

I was just wondering if i could cut back the yellow spots in the top / corner of my bamboo and let it start over ?* It looks so rough ?* Would it hurt it or should i leave it alone ?

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking.* Do you mean cut the leaf where it's yellow?* If so, yes you can, but the leaf will probably continue to yellow and you will eventually need to remove it.

Newt

This one is a bamboo that i split off so it could grow better , and the yellow area is at the top where that grows out into a flower , thats what* I wanted to trim off was the that part ! But wondering if its just dead now !* Looking more yellow :(

I think I understand you, but I'm a bit confused by you saying it grows out to a flower.* If you are saying you have a stem/stalk that you are trying to root and it's yellow at the top and you want to cut it shorter, go ahead.* Cut it just above where there was a leaf.

Newt

Ok* the stalk is goin way down hill , more than half is is yellow , but the other part is ok ! Anyway wondering if i should keep this part of the stalk or see what it does ! What do u think?

Cut it to where the stalk is ok, throw away the yellowed part and keep trying.* I suspect the entire stalk will die, but it's worth a try and a good learning experience.

Newt

WE are talking the straight part of the stalk* right , to cut ?

I've got a great idea.* How about you take a picture and post it?* I don't know if the stalk is curved or straight as I can't see it.* Most stalks of lucky bamboo are straight and some are curved.* Just cut about 1" below the yellowing area on the stalk if the yellowing is at the top or cut 1" above if the yellowing is at the bottom.* You could also search google with the scientific name and click on 'Images' for pictures of this plant.* You can also get growing info or search with the scientific name + propagate and click on 'web'.

Newt

I dont* have a camera to take a pic of the bamboo ! I think the only thing that is doing good is the other side right now , I think i might call it quits and place the other one in before it does the same! Since this one is so tall what kind of pot would you recommend ? :?

Again, I'm not there to see how tall "so tall" is so it's hard to say.* Generally a pot should be one third the height of the plant.* So if your plant is 9" tall, the pot should be about 3" to 4" tall.* Of course if the root system is too big for a pot that size, you should go with the size of the rootball or the roots.* Take a look here for some help with potting up plants.
    http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

Hope that helps.
    Newt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast