Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My friend lives in Oklahoma and just noticed this plant growing in her yard. She just bought the house a few weeks ago and hadn't seen it before. Neither of us can find it online ANYWHERE. Do any of y'all know what it could be?

Hi EmmasMom,

Congratulations to your friend on her new home!* She has lovely Lycoris aka spider lily.* It's probably Lycoris radiata.* The leaves usually appear in spring and then disappear.* Then in early fall the flowers appear all by themselves, usually without the leaves.
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/L/lyco_rad.cfm

Newt

Thank you SO MUCH for the info!

You are very welcome!!

Newt

Yep, it's a spider lilly.* Aren't they pretty.* My mama used to call them "Naked Ladies".* That is the oldtimers name for them.* She was 88 when she passed.* I saw some in town at a house today.* I think I am going to go out to Mama's old place and dig some up so I will have some next year.*

Keyslammer, get as many as you can.* They are about $3 a bulb!* There are many of these that are called naked ladies.* They are also called surprise lilies and magic lilies.* I have the pink ones - Lycoris squamergia.

Newt

Oh my gosh Newt...I had NO idea that they were that pricey.* I am going to be at Mama's place when the sun comes up in the morning.* She always loved them.* She would always smile when she referred to them as "naked ladies".* She was a hoot and a master gardener.* How I wish I could just pick up the phone and ask her all of my gardening questions now.* We take things SO for granted when they are here.* This past spring I went over and got a bunch of her iris.* Every color under the sun and then some, as well as some little violets and oxalis (sp?).* I planted the iris in my beds and trimmed them back.* I hope so much I have iris this spring.* They remind me of Easter eggs.* Thanks Newt for the info.* I hope you know you've opened a can of worms with me.* I don't know whether you are a man or woman, but according to the name I would think you are a man....you are NOW MY SURROGATE MOTHER.* I have read so many of your posts on here and you are good....believe THAT!* Take care and thanks again ever so much!

Donna* (aka "keyslammer")

Hope the picture comes out...it's my precious Mama...she even wore clothes with flowers on them.* Can you believe she was 85 in this picture.* Still dyed her hair JET BLACK to the end!

Donna, I hope I look that good when I'm 85!* Your mom was a lovely woman and I can understand how you would miss her so.* I loved reading about the plants you gathered from your mother's garden. The iris might take 2 years to recover before they bloom, so not to fret if you don't see flowers in spring.* My mother lives in Arizona and is 93, soon to be 94!* I've sent her lilacs from my garden as she never sees them in Arizona.* I've even sent veggies from my tiny garden.*

I'm a woman too.* My name came from one of my rescue dogs.* Her name is Newt and she's named for a little blonde girl from the movie 'Aliens' who survived all alone on a planet that had these huge insect-like monsters.* 'My' Newt is a yellow lab and also survived alone in the basement of a house, so I gave her the name.*

You gave me a giggle when you said I'm now your surrogate mother as I have so many surrogate cyber kids these days!* I don't mind at all. I actually have a foster daughter who just moved from Miami to Ft. Worth and will eventually move to Houston.*

Newt

Oh Newt....you are SO sweet.* I love the story about the rescue dogs.* I LOVE...actually CHERISH animals.* They are precious.* My babies are like children to me.* I have a wonderful son, but he's grown up and married and has a son.* Now, we have our "other babies".*

Thanks for the info about the iris.* I was hoping that would not be the case, but if it takes another year then so be it.* It will be worth the wait to see Mama's beautiful iris.* I don't know if my link and pictures I sent came through earlier.* I think it told me the file was too large, so if it didn't take you can see my place on the myspace.com site I am attaching the link for.* We've only been here since summer 2006, and it's pretty blank right now.* The picture of the "Ponderosa" as we call it (hee hee) was taken last fall before I had much planted at all.* We had some gorgeous periwinkles last summer and this summer, but nothing else to speak of.* I got the iris from Mama's place and the violets, and oxalis (again sp?)* and everything but the iris, of course, bloomed and was beautiful.* We have a LOT of shade.* We are about 45 minutes east of Dallas out in the country close to the city of Canton, Texas.* Lots of black walnut, pine and oak trees.* The back and the front are covered with trees basically.* I love the shade.* There is, however, enough sunlight to provide plenty for almost anything that doesn't require direct sunlight.* The front of the house faces west.* We've got a half acre that I would LOVE to make into a garden oasis someday.* Right now I am just focused on getting a lot of the plants and bulbs my Mama had.* I feel like she is still here with me more when I see HER flowers.* Hey, I guess God needed a good gardener!* He's sure got one now.*

Here is my Myspace site....have a lot of pictures on there of the family and one of our place to give you an idea.** You are so sweet "MOM".* hee hee* Now, if I could just get you to give me your recipe for cornbread dressing (and NOT leave out any of the ingredients) we'd have it going on!**

Donna (aka...keyslammer)

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=201004405

Donna, I think we've hijacked EmmasMom's thread here.* I hope she doesn't mind.* :?* I'm sending you a private message.

Newt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast