Hybrid View

[align=left]My boyfriend brought me home a potted gerbera daisy plant. Yesterday it looked really good, lots of flowers, several new blooms, and lots of big green leaves. I know nothing about plants so I went to a website and did everything it said. I put a few drops of plant food on the soil, watered it (but not directly in the crown), misted the leaves alittle, and had the heat on low. Well I woke up the next day and the whole thing has wilted! The blooms look okay but the stems and leaves look pathetic. What did I do to it?? Oh, also my boyfriend mentioned he thinks the plant might be 'pot bound', I have no idea what that means, but could it have anything to do with the drastic change overnight? I live in the NW, but the weather has been decent, no snowing or freezing, actually it hasn't even been raining! The plant has been inside the house and was bought just from QFC or something. Is there any way I can fix this? And can someone please tell me what I've done wrong before I murder another innocent plant??[/align]

[align=left]LOL...* You watered it and it should be ok, but you may have given it a drastic*climate change.* You may have placed it next to a heater vent where it wasn't ready for such a drastic change in climate. [/align]
    [align=left]In Seattle... they not ready to go outside and you can't leave it in your car overnight.* [/align]
    [align=left]My opinion... toss it and buy another.[/align]

Hi Lucila,

What a lovely gift.* The problem with potted gerberas is they are very difficult to care for.* I suspect it's rootbound aka 'pot bound' and you may need to put it under the faucet and slowly let tepid water run through the pot so the center of the rootball gets soaked.* Take a look at the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot to see if it's rootbound.* You should see the roots if it is.* If it is potbound and not getting water to the center of the rootball you will probably have to water it that way.* Just be sure that the water drains through the pot and the plant isn't left sitting in a saucer of water for more then 15 minutes.* Water when the top of the soil is dry to the touch.

Here's what a pot bound or rootbound rootball looks like.* It happens from being in the same pot too long.
    http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=70

Here's how to repot a plant and other general info about houseplants.
    http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

Newt

[align=left]Update: I've been flying kinda blind here, but I thought I would give it one more shot. Someone told me to take it out of the pot and pull apart the soil and the roots if it was root bound. So I just did that and put it back it the pot. Then I snipped the flowers off that just have no hope at the level of the leaves (well what would be their level if they weren't so sorry looking). I put them back in the window and it's really sunny out, so I'll cross my fingers I guess.[/align]

[align=left]Thanks for the site with the pictures of what root bound looks like. Unfortunately, mine didn't really look like that. So thats probably not the problem either. But I'll see how she looks tomorrow.[/align]

[align=left]So the plant is toast. But I did clip all of the blooms off and put them in a cup of room temp water with a little bit of sugar in it. They were flopped totally over and once in the sugar water they perked right up! They looked beautiful and the stems became stick straight. Does that mean anything? Would it be bad to water a plant with sugar water?[/align]

Sugar does seem to prolong the life of cut flowers in water.* You can do a google with something like:
    cut flowers + sugar

Newt