Thread: asiatic lillies

Hybrid View

I have heard that asiatic lillies should not be planted with daylillies. Is this true?

Hi Central CT Gardener,

I've never heard of that.* Daylilies, oriental lilies and asiatic lilies all are members of the Liliaceae family aka lily family.* Daylilies belong to the genus Hemerocallis.* Asiatic lilies and Oriential lilies belong to the genus Lilium.* They are related but are not the same.* Daylilies grow from fibrous roots that have tubers attached that store food and true lilies (Asiatic, Oriental, onion, hyacinth) grow from bulbs where the food is stored.*

The only thing I can think of as to not plant them together is to space them far enough apart for the Asiatics and Orientals to multiply.* I grow both together, but spaced far enough apart for the faster multiplying bulbs of Asiatic and Oreintal lilies to have space.* That way I only need to dig and replant the bulbs of the Oriental or Asiatics every 3 to 5 years.*

Hope that answers your question.
    Newt

Thanks for the info. I guess I will be sticking my bulbs in the ground tomorrow afternoon!

You are very welcome!* Have fun in the garden.* I have some lilies to plant this year too. My hubby bought me some yellow ones.

Newt