Thread: callalillies

Hybrid View

[align=left]Hi - I hope I am posting this in the proper section, please forgive if not...[/align]
    [align=left]I purchase calla lillies in a pot (bloomed) around 2.5 months back.* They were beautiful and very healthy.* Now the blooms have closed and have started to droop.* I have been reading different things about how to take care of them and was hoping someone would be able to clarify the steps.* I have never grown anything before and so treat your response as though you are speaking with a child...[/align]
    [align=left](1) I have stopped watering them because I want them to go into dormancy.[/align]
    [align=left](2) Should I wait until the blooms are touching my desk before I cut them back?[/align]
    [align=left](3) Should I cut them back right beneath the bloom or at the end of the stem itself?[/align]
    [align=left](4) Should I tuck them away in a cool dry place with no sunlight once I've cut back all of the blooms?[/align]
    [align=left]And three final Qs. Everywhere it says that they will re bloom in 2-3 months.* My question to this is how will that happen if I'm not watering them?* How will they generate...and what will the signs be when that starts to happen?* Should I fertilise at any point between now and the anticipated next bloom in 2-3 months or just leave the pot in a dry place and let it sit quietly in the same soil?[/align]
    [align=left]Sorry for all of the Qs and thanks in advance :)[/align]
    [align=left]*[/align]

What is your planting Zone?

I am in Zone 5a...

My callalillies are in a small pot in my office.*

This site has some good info on how to grow these plants in pots.* Scroll down to just under the picture to "Potting".
    http://www.botany.com/zantedeschia.html

Newt

Thanks again, Newt - I did what they said on the site and now my callalillie seems to be okay still. I have made a note to myself to slowly cut back on the watering but not to kill the plant. That seems to be the most difficult thing...to keep her "quiet" but not kill her. Fingers crossed and we'll see how she holds us over the next year :)

Great news.* I'm so glad to read this!* You are very welcome and thank YOU for the update.* ;)*

Newt