Hybrid View

I recently moved into a house with several old shrubs.* The previous owner "pruned" everything the same, just topped it off flat.* I started letting this bush grow last year to try to identify it and the new growth shows an arching habit, flexible limbs that sway in the breeze.* I haven't seen it bloom and am just waiting to see what it does this year before I do anything to it.* I've been looking through books but I can't identify it.* HELP!

Hi Charlie,

I can think of many shrubs that grow as you describe.* Got any pics with the leaves and the form?

It would also help to know where you are located.

Newt

Thanks, I'm located in zone 5, northwest Missouri.* I don't have any pics yet - will try to get some.

Does it have any buds yet?* I wonder if it's a spring bloomer.* I'd love to see pics in bloom.

Newt

No blooms yet, I'm hoping I can identify it when it bloms.* I found another one in town that I'm sure is the same and it has a beautiful, graceful shape (mine has been pruned so terribly that you couldn't identify it by the shape).* I'll try to get some pictures when it blooms.* Thanks.

I suspect this shrub grows by sending up shoots from the ground.* If so, to prune you would cut the oldest stems flush to the ground.* You can see a pic here.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basic...eshrubs1.shtml

Newt