Hi all - So I've just finally finished planting my first little bit of garden. Two areas, in fact...

The first will, I hope, eventually be filled with pretty colours:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mahaz/2...7604760210210/

(If you run your cursor over the plants, it will tell you which perennial I've planted).

Second is a more shaded area where I've planted little hostas:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mahaz/2...7604760210210/

Same Q: Will all of the above actually spread sideways and cover some ground (even though I've placed mulch...)?

Apparently, we're going to get a little snow - a very tiny bit (I am in zone 5a in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada - later in the week. Will my garden patches be okay or do I have to protect them? If so, then how can I ensure they are to be okay?

Thanks and I hope everyone's had a great weekend so far.
    canuck

You've done a really nice job.* :dude:* Yes, eventually the plants will fill in.* There's a saying with perennials that goes: "The first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap."***

Your Echinacea will eventually drop seeds if you leave the seed heads up for the winter and you'll have more.* I like to see them with snow on them and the birds eat fhe seeds.

English daisy aka Bellis perennis will reseed so you'll be pulling out the extras in a couple of years.

Is the yellow snapdragon an annual?* If so, it won't be back next year.

Alpine poppy aka Papaver alpinum is a short lived perennial but will self seed so leave the seed heads on towards the end of summer.

Sometime lupines will die back in the heat of summer, so don't be surprised if they disappear.* They should return next year for you.* Don't let them dry out and the foilage will last a bit longer.

Carpathian?* I think that is only part of the name.* Maybe you planted Carpathian Harebell aka Carpathian Bellflower aka Campanula carpatica.* It's always best to include the scientific name as there are many of the same common names for plants that are differnt plants.* If so, these will spread nicely.* The lupine is probably too close to the Campanula carpatica if that's the one you planted.* I can't tell how close they are in the picture from this angle.

There are hundreds of varieties of sage. They are pretty easy care and pest free.

Yarrow also comes in many forms.* I found it too floppy for my taste.* Which one did you plant?

Speedwell veronica should self seed too.

There are different forget-me-nots.* Which one did you plant?

You can always do a google for info on individual plants.* Try and use the scientific name.* You can also click on 'Images' and get pics.

Newt

Thanks Newt!

I will write down all of the scientific names this coming weekend and repost.

I do believe the snapdrago is a perennial - at least, I think so, but I'll confirm :)

Canuck, you are so very welcome!* I tried to give you the scientific names for most of them.* Don't hesitate to ask more questions.

Newt

You have a great selection of plants in there.* As they grow you will be able to feel out the ones you like the best!* Every year I think I'm done moving or buying plants...it never ends and I love it!

Nice Job!

hi wowmom2!

Guess what? I have taken all of the perrenials from the back and moved them to the front.

I used to have a lawn of grass...and then I took up all of the grass and planted a huge amount of perrenials instead. I want an English looking messy garden with bursts of colour and I hope to have that by the third summer from now! I will post photos....

At the moment, I have to de-weed the area. I was away for 9 days and now the area is overrun with this crazy thick weed. Unbelievable.

Photos soon!

Canuck, sounds like you've been busy.* :)* I can't wait to see the photos too.

Newt