Hybrid View

I have a friend here in south carolina who moved up from Louisianna after the hurricane. They have a Bird of Paradise which*is a dwarf version? They have had it for several years and it was doing wonderfully until she went away fro a couple weeks and left hubby in charge. It started looking real bad. He watered it every day for I dont know how long, but TOO long. I went there yesterday after researching how to divide the plant. The pot was sitting in an overflowing saucer of water. When I got 2-3 inches down, all the dirt was mud. IT was a very delicate job to separate because the roots were so waterlogged. Alot of the roots came loose, but I was able to keep apx 4 roots per each division as instructed in the PDF file I downloaded. I separated into 3 clumps, dusted the cut with rooting hormone and repotted. The article instructed not to water for at least 3 days so the cut could heal over. My questions:

*There are some green leaves left, so it is not dead, but maybe on its way? Do you think it will survive after being so wet for so long?

Should they wait longer to water than 3 days since it was so drenched?

How often afterwards should it be watered? I told him NOT to water everyday at all.

Will all those loose roots be useful to plant after they have dried out, and will it grow into another plant?

Can I keep it outside during the summer time?

(She kept 2 cuttings and gave me 1)

Thanks for any suggestions.

How sad for your friend.**:(* I've not grown these, but many plants have the same requirements and I've grown plants similar in requirements to this one.

"There are some green leaves left, so it is not dead, but maybe on its way? Do you think it will survive after being so wet for so long?"

It's difficult to say.* Sometimes root rot sets in and doesn't even show until the plant is watered a couple of times.

"Should they wait longer to water than 3 days since it was so drenched?"

If the new soil is dry to almost dry, I'd say to water after 3 days as instructed.

"How often afterwards should it be watered? I told him NOT to water everyday at all."

From this site which has lots more growing info:
    http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergarde.../birdparad.htm

"Keep the soil moist in the summer, but allow the pot to dry out between waterings when indoors. These plants are heavy feeders, so fertilize every 2 weeks throughout the summer, and monthly in the winter with a water-soluble fertilizer (if it's planted in soilless medium; it may require less fertilizer if in real soil)."

So I'd say to let the soil dry out between waterings.* Then let the water run through the drainage holes. Let the plant sit in water for about 5 minutes so all the soil gets wet, then dump any excess water.

"Will all those loose roots be useful to plant after they have dried out, and will it grow into another plant?"

I don't think so without the crown of the plant.

"Can I keep it outside during the summer time?"

Yes, but don't put it directly in full sun right away.* Let it get used to the sun first.* This site has helpful info on growing them too.
    http://www.clemson.edu/charleston/lo...d/brdpards.htm

That was nice of her to give you one.* I hope they will all be ok.

Newt