We need a dwarf tree to grow in a corner bed at the intersection of our driveway and the street. It will only get 3-4 hours of sun (11am to 3pm) during the summer. A little more in the spring. It will sit in a bed at the top of a 45 degree slope.
    It will sit about 5-10 feet off the edge of the crown of a Lynden tree that is about 50 feet tall. The lowest limbs are about 15 feet of the ground. It has just been trimmed and is fairly open.
    Any suggestions?

[user=4294]sycamore[/user] wrote:
    We need a dwarf tree to grow in a corner bed at the intersection of our driveway and the street. It will only get 3-4 hours of sun (11am to 3pm) during the summer. A little more in the spring. It will sit in a bed at the top of a 45 degree slope.
    It will sit about 5-10 feet off the edge of the crown of a Lynden tree that is about 50 feet tall. The lowest limbs are about 15 feet of the ground. It has just been trimmed and is fairly open.
    Any suggestions?
    I believe a dwarf rododendron like the japenese (yaku princess) may work but lets wait for other replies first.

Is there a tree version of the yaku princess?

I am sorry,its a bush not a tree. :X

Hi Sycamore,

With your location I would guess your hardiness zone is 6 or 7.* With that little bit of sun I would call it part sun.* Japanese maples come to mind as most don't like full sun.* There are upright and dwarf spreading ones that sometimes look more like shrubs.* Dogwoods also might be a good choice as well as the star magnolia aka Magnolia stellata.* The saucer magnolia aka Magnolia soulangiana might also work.* Look for a later blooming one if you are in zone 7.
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic1015.htm

You don't say if you want evergreen or deciduous or don't care either way so I selected those that came to mind first.

With no disrespect to Natural Cat, I'm not sure Rhododendron 'Yaku Princess' will be tall enough for you.* They sure are lovely when in bloom.
    http://www.waysidegardens.com/webapp...w&ItemId=47429

Newt