View Poll Results: Do you compost all veggies and fruits from the grocery, even if not organic?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

2 66.67%
  • Sometimes

1 33.33%
  • No

0 0%
  • Yes

0 0%
  • Depends on my mood

0 0%
  • Never thought to be concerned about the pesticides

0 0%
    I love to compost, but with all the news about chemicals and pesticides and my awareness of the water run off from our street to our yard, I am worried our compost is not as "clean" and wonderful as I think. Is it safe to compost fruits and veggies from the grocery store that are not organic? I would like to avoid any pesticides if possible!!! Thanks as always.

Jeve, you ask a very interesting question.* I've read this question from others and I really don't know the answer.* I'm sure some chemist or botanist would.* I would think that the process of washing the veggies that haven't been grown organically and then composting them would make them safe to eat.* The runoff from the street would give me concern due to the petroleum waste from cars.

You could have your soil and/or compost tested for chemicals and metals.* Contact your local extension service if you are in the US.

Newt

I have never used grocery compost in my garden but I really like this idea. I definitely try this in my garden. Thanks.