Hybrid View

wondering about our placement of this shrub.* it's in an area where the snow falling off the roof*will hit it.* we've had success with ninebark ('cause we can cut it to the ground).* Can we do this with this shrub?

Hi Lesley,

Your shrub should be fine with a hard prune each spring before growth starts.* This is one shrub that should be renewal pruned each spring while still dormant.* From this site - see figure 4:
    http://agbiopubs.sdstate.edu/articles/ExEx6033.pdf

The oldest 1/6 to 1/3 of the stems are headed (identified by the X) at approximately three inches.
    Arctic blue leaf willow is listed in Table 3 at the bottom of the last page.* There's other helpful deciduous shrub pruning info at that site.

Newt

Perfect.* I have convinced my husband to leave them where they are!* Maine winters can be very snowybut it sounds like the shrubs will survive!* thanks a bunch!

Lesley, you are so very welcome!* Maine winters may be long and snowy, but the summers and autumns are wonderful.* I spent a beautiful day there last October and feasted on lobster.* :D

Newt