Thread: Tuberoses

[align=left]I purchased tuberose bulbs (3) 4 years ago from Roberta's on QVC.* The first 2 years they grew about 4 feet tall and bloomed beautifully.* Well last year and this year they won't grow higher than 6 - 8" and they're* sparse looking.* Won't do a thing!* A lady at work suggested I dig them up and divide them.** I did but the only thing is it looks like the clumped bulbs are gone!* Each little 6-8" green sprout is only attached to a teeny root.* No clumped bulbs anymore!* Does anyone know what could've happend?* Thank you.* [/align]

In a simple expression: root rot.

What it may be is a fungus that attacked an overly wet root-bulb system. That can happen easily. In this case you were somewhat fortunate in that a small piece survived to grow a shoot. You would not have had even that if the damage was typical.

My suggestion is to give it up for lost and lesson learned. It would take a few years minimum to rebuild the bulb from the wee bit you have remaining.

[align=left]thank you!* makes sense.* So I guess I'm guilty of over watering?* I live in Memphis, TN and it gets so stinkin' hot here and very humid.* [/align]

Hi Philly,

I think the major problem is your hardiness zone.* I get Memphis as zone 7.* Tuberose is only hardy to zone 9 and maybe 8 with lots of mulch.* You would need to lift them from the ground after the foilage has yellowed as the leaves feed the bulbs for the next years bloom.* I suspect the frost got them. If you aren't sure of your hardiness zone here's a zip code zone finder.
    http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Here's some growing info for these bulbs.
    http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index...n=Custom&ID=79

Newt

[align=left]thank you Newt.* I'll keep these things in mind---i do plan on purchasing more.* they smell so heavenly!* [/align]

Philly, you are so very welcome!

Newt