[align=left]I moved down to central forida recently and am unfamiliar with the names of plants. I have a hedge (verbenum?) around my patio that has many very small round bugs on the leaves. Does anyone know what they are and what I should use to get rid of them. I*have a product by Ortho that smells very bad and I sprayed a little on it but they are still there. I also have one called seven I haven't tried yet. I also*have a tomatoe plant up against the hedge and that appears to be drying up or something even though we have rain everyday. I picked all the tomatoes so that I could treat the hedge without affecting the*tomatoes. But I also need to treat the tomatoes plant. Does anyone know anything about either of these problems?**[/align]

Hi Redkirk,

Congratulations on your new home!* Is there any way you could post pictures of the shrub, the bugs and the tomato plant?* If not, a description of the bugs might be helpful.* The first "small round bug" that comes to mind is a lady bug which is a good bug to have in the garden.* It's actually a beetle, but that's ok.

If your hedge is Viburnum, they aren't bothered by many bugs.* You don't say what damage the bugs are doing, if any.* Not all bugs are bad bugs, so they just might be 'the good guys'.* :)* Here's a picture of a Viburnum leaf beetle being eaten by a lady bug larvae aka lady beetle larvae.* The good guy doing the feasting is the black one that looks pre-historic.
    http://www.entomology.cornell.edu/Ex...&VLBcredit.jpg

More info and pics of Viburnum leaf beetle.
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/sc195/013.html

I have a product by Ortho that smells very bad and I sprayed a little on it but they are still there. I also have one called seven I haven't tried yet.
    I don't use toxic chemicals in my garden, so my advice would be not to spray ANYTHING until you know what you are spraying for.* Know thine enemy!* Besides, Sevin can be quite toxic, especially to bees.
    http://www.safe2use.com/poisons-pest...rbaryl-old.htm

I also have a tomatoe plant up against the hedge and that appears to be drying up or something even though we have rain everyday.
    Can you give a better description?* Is the plant wilting, leaves curling and dry, stems sunken, anything the wrong color on the stems or leaves?

Newt