We have 14 Holly Bushes in backyard landscape beds.* They have been in place for 10+ years and have been pruned every year.* This year, all of the bushes are experiencing some type of distress or disease.* We have found no insects, and spraying with Ortho Plant Disease Control and Orthene has not helped.* The problem is that new leaves are either dying or are being eaten by something.* The result leaves dead new leaf stems on the outer edges of the bushes where new leaves would ordinarily appear.* The buses otherwise seem healthy and there are plenty of new berries.* If I did not know better, I would speculate that deer are getting to the bushes and eating the new leaves, leaving the stems, but this is not likely because there is a 5 foot chain link fence protecting the area, and there are dogs next door.* Does anyone have any ideas as to what the problem is?

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure I understand.* You said:

The problem is that new leaves are either dying or are being eaten by something. The result leaves dead new leaf stems on the outer edges of the bushes where new leaves would ordinarily appear.
    So does that mean you don't see any leaves on the ground?* If deer are eating, they tear at the stems and don't gingerly nibble off the leaves while leaving the leaf stem.* If there are leaves on the ground it would be helpful to know if they have spots or yellowing.

These two sites have some helpful info.* I'm thinking that either drought stress (if you'd had drought) or some type of scale insect might be responsible.* At this first site look especially at 'Insects' and 'Disorders' at the bottom of the page.* The second site is just about diseases of holly.
    http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC2055.htm
    http://www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-1087/ANR-1087.pdf

I would recommend you DO NOT spray anything until you know what is the cause as you might be stressing them more and not doing the environment any good.* I always say, 'know thine enemy'.

Btw, where do these hollies grow and are they evergreen?* Do you know which hollies these are?

Newt