This is the first time I've seen these berries on this shrub - about the size of cherry tomatoes, bright red, turning dark red as they ripen.
    What is it? Are these edible?
    Thanks.

Hi Rghuie,

Do you know the name or what type of shrub this is?* Could it be a young crab apple tree that appears to be a shrub but will grow to a tree?*

What country/state does this shrub grow in?* It appears to be planted in a garden and not growing in the wild.

Newt

Hi, Newt.
    I'm in SE Michigan. This is in a garden, planted about 12 years ago by a landscaper I'd rather forget. It's not a crabapple - it's a large shrub, about 10 - 12 feet, multiple branches from the ground, and has rather unremarkable white flowers in the spring. This is the first time I've ever seen these berries on it. We had a very cold winter and very wet spring, so I don't know if that could have something to do with it bearing fruit. I've looked through all my books and found nothing that really looks like it, the closest thing being a sand cherry. But the leaves resemble dogwood leaves, and the berries are all singular stemmed. Thanks for your help.
    R.

I think I found the name of your shrub.** I was searching for someone else and stumbled across Elaeagnus multiflora aka cherry elaeagnus aka gumi.
    http://www.floridata.com/ref/E/elaeag_m.cfm

Is that it?
    Newt

Wow, it sure looks like it, but I'll have to compare the twigs. Also, the fruits don't have silvery specks, although the ones pictured definitely come closer that any I've found on the web or in books. Thanks! What a great service you perform!
    Rhonda

Rhonda, you are so very welcome!* There are three species of Elaeagnus.* Take a look here and you could do a google search to see if any of these fit.* You can click on 'Images' at google too.
    http://web.uconn.edu/mcbstaff/benson...aeagnaceae.htm

Thanks for the compliment.* :)
    Newt

Well, I've gone over LOTS of species, and I'm convinced it must be some sort of elaeagnus, but the berries don't have spots, and they ripened in late August, not June/July. This could be, I suppose because of my zone 4/5 climate, but I'll keep looking. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.
    Rhonda
    PS - This shrub is absolutely gorgeous, and loved by birds and bunnies! It would make a nice addition to any large garden area.

I've come across another possibility in searching for someone else.* So, how about Cornus officinalis aka Japanese cornelian cherry?
    http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=B995

Another possibility would be Cornus mas aka Cornelian cherry dogwood.
    http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/p....asp?code=C290

What do you think?
    Newt

Ha!
    The leaves look more like the mas, but the fruits look more like the officinalus! You are fabulous...I was convinced it was an eleagnus until I saw this. The leaves do droop like dogwood, and I have quite a few species of wild dogwood around my farm, but this is obviously an import of some kind (I have another that's come up in the edge of my natural area, so it does seem to spread.)
    thank you thank you. thank you.
    R. :D

You are so very welcome!!* You may have to wait and see what it looks like when it blooms.* Also time of bloom would be helpful.* Do take pics of the flower buds and the flowers.

Thanks for the compliment.* I'm going to tell my hubby what you said so he won't be upset when dinner isn't ready this evening because I'm catching up on my email and garden posts.* hehe* ;)*

Newt