Wow... busy place, but I'll try: I have this small wildflower, or weed, depending on your point of view, in my yard. It looks like Spermacoce verticillata, but so do the pictures of Spermacoce terminalis on the Atlas of Florida Vascular Plants, and I'd really like to know how to tell the difference between the two so I can be sure which mine is. Does anyone know? There are pictures of some of my plants here:* http://butterflies.heuristron.net/plants/whiteball.html
    but I have a lot of them in my yard and it's possible that I have both kinds. Some do look a bit different than others, but that might be simply that some are more wet, others more dry, some shady, some sunny, some frequently mowed, and others left to grow... All assistance appreciated:)

Hi Sososleepy,

I've read your journal page and it appears you've already done quite a bit of research.* I'm not a botanist, but maybe the botanists here will be able to help you to id which is which and what consitutes the differences.* I see you are already a member there and I would suggest you start a new topic instead of posting the question on the thread where you have it.* You might to get some help from one of the botanists there.* Try this forum.
    http://www.ubcbotanicalgarden.org/fo...splay.php?f=38

I have my suspicions that part of the difference is in the name.* The 'terminalis' has flowers at the ends of the stems and the 'verticillata' has flowers spaced along the stems and grows more vertically.* I'd love to know what you find out.

Newt

Hey thanks Newt, I'll try there. I've looked a lot, but haven't found any clear answers. Mine have flower balls at the end of the stems as well as at the leaf nodes, but it looks like the both kinds I think mine might be do too, so???

I still don't know but I'd love to know if anyone at UBC Botanical Gardens can tell you the difference.* It's a very interesting question.

Newt