In March of this year, I transplated a six foot tall Canadian Hemlock from a terribly exposed location to the edge of another cluster of Canadian Hemlocks, which are thriving. I trimed the branches back about 1/3 and kept it well-watered, and it also thrived, with lots of new growth. Just in the past few days, all at once the leaves seemed to shrivel and wilt. I realized that it had been very dry here, though only in the 70's, and the shrub is in a moist and shady spot, and our soil is partly clay, so I admit I haven't been too focused on watering it in the past month. Today when I watered it, nearly all of the leaves fell off, and now mostly bare stems are visible.

Is it likely to come back if I keep watering it? Or is there a way to decide if it's too far gone?

If i killed it, I'd rather replace it now in the Fall.

Thanks for any advice.

It's hard to say if it's gone or not, but I suspect it's still alive.* In times of stress plants will shed their needles/leaves.* The root system is probably still alive.* I would recommend you continue to water as normal for a new transplant through the winter.* You should see new growth in spring.*

Newt

Ok Newt. thanks.

BTW--the redtwig dogwoods you advised me on earlier this year are doing great.

Dave, what great news about the dogwoods.* :)* Thanks for letting me know.* I should have included this before, but sometimes in the rush of my day I forget.* I don't remember if I ever gave you a site about how to water newly planted trees.
    http://cals.arizona.edu/pubs/water/az1298/

Newt