Hybrid View

Hello!

I live in an apartment in a city, and make use of my porch to grow annuals and perennials in containers. I grew coleus this year as well as some perennial herbs. I met a gardener this summer who told me that she overwinters her coleus in her sun room; they die back but then come back in the spring. I, however, do not have a sun room and have limited space within my apartment. Right now, my coleus are on top of my fridge, where they get light but I fear they get too much heat from the refrigerator. I have another option of putting them on a shelf in my entry-way; however, they will receive very limited light. I would like to know which place would be better, or if I should relocate them to another place entirely.

I am also going to try and revive my perennial herbs in the spring. They have mostly died back, and I am wondering if they will survive and where I should be keeping these, as well.

Thanks for any tips!

Hi GardeningV,

Coleus are considered annuals.* Once they flower and go to seed the parent plant dies.* It's best to keep them in a bright spot for the winter.* They really don't need direct sun.* If you have compact fluorescent light bulbs in your lamps nearby, that should help them along.* Pinch them back so they don't flower.* Over the winter you'll find the lower stems get woody.* You don't say where you live, but sometime between mid February and late March you can take cuttings of the newer growth and root them in perlite.* Once rooted you can pot them up for the new growing season.

Newt

Thanks! Mine didn't go into flower at all, so I hope this will work. I'm in Buffalo. I appreciate the response :)

You are so very welcome!* I know Buffalo.* I went to college in Fredonia many, many moons ago!*

Newt