Hybrid View

Hi, the bulbs from this plant came from my grandmother, who told my dad it is a Star of Bethlehem. I need to know for sure because my cat ate some of the leaves yesterday and this plant is on the toxic list! I need to know so I can tell the vet. When I Google the plant, I only see white flowering versions of this plant, but my plant has pink*flowers.
    Can someone correctly identify it for me?
    Thank you so much.

Hi Debcatz,

That looks like a lily, possibly a rain lily aka fairy lily aka* Zephyranthes, and not star of Bethlehem.* That is the problem with using common names as many plants have the same common name. I don't know how much of the leaves your cat ate, but I would think any ill effects would have shown by now.

Newt

Thank you so much, I'm relieved that it's not a Star of Bethlehem after everything I've read. I'm not finding any info on whether the rain/fairy lily is toxic to my cats or not, maybe that's a good sign. I appreciate your quick reply. Happy Thanksgiving!

You are so very welcome!* You might want to consider growing some catnip for your cat to nibble on.* :)*

Newt

I do grow grass for them, but haven't in awhile and just moved my plants inside for the winter. I'm growing grass today though!

Thank you!

Great to know.* I've never had a problem with any of my cats chewing on my indoor plants.* Guess I've just been lucky that way.* Glad to know you're growing grass for them.* That's great!

Newt