Thread: aloe vera plant

I have a giant aloe vera plant with several pups.* One of the BIG ones I have to keep propped up.* this is the one that the flower comes on.* Should I repot and if so, how do I do it?* OR should I take it to a nursery and let them do it???*

Hi Sfarler,

Without a picture it's difficult to say what to do.* Is the plant rootbound?* I'm guessing it is, so another pot about 2" larger would be good, or splitting them up would be appropriate.* Do wait until the parent plant has finished blooming as plants in bloom or bud are more easily stressed.*

There are many different aloes, some with spines on their leaves and some without.* You could use a sheet, pillowcase or newspaper to wrap around the plant so it won't get damaged when you remove it from the pot.* If your aloe does have spines on the leaves, be sure to look at the picture and description at the bottom on the right to see how to 'stuff' the plant with newspaper so the spines don't damage the leaves.* Take a look here at how this cactus is done.
    http://www.cactuscenter.com/trans.html

Here's general instructions on how to repot plants.
    http://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

If you still feel unsure, have the nursery do it and watch how it's done.

Newt

Thanks for the advice.* What I'm also wondering is, the part that gets the flower on it is the one that has grown off the main plant and has to be propped up.* Do I cut that off and start it in a new pot all by itself?* The base of this part is about 4 inches in diameter and about 7" long.* I know it will break off when I try to transplant the main plant.* I'm just so afraid of killing off something.*

Unfortunately I can't see your plant so I can't say exactly what to do and if that part has roots or not.* Photos are always helpful.

Newt

thanks, but I don't have a digital camera and can't post a picture.*

If you don't have access to a digital camera or a phone with one, then I would suggest you take it to a nursery as you mentioned and watch as they do it.*

Newt

Aloe vera grow well from cuttings. As you say your plant is huge,
    I'd experiment a bit. Aloe likes a well draining potting medium.

Aloha,
    Maren