I came home last week to find that a landscaper friend of mine left me a huge pile of Nandinas that they dug from someones yard. They are dwarf variety. Due to Thanksgiving and a busy schedule at work, I was unable to dig a trench to plant them. I DO have a perfect spot along the edge of the property that borders a large field, lots of sunshine. Anyway, I trimmed the roots and potted 28 3 gallon pots and 2 really big pots (maybe 10 gallon?). My question is: If I leave them in the pots over the winter, will the roots grow together into a ball? I am hoping for that because it will be easier to plant.

Any thoughts on this?

I sure do appreciate any input.

Dina :)

Wow, I could use some of those!!* What a cool gift.* Do you have any idea which variety they are?* Sure you can leave them in their pots for the winter.* You are either going to have to sink the pots into the ground or heal in the pots with loads of mulch or leaves.* You don't want the pots to freeze, thaw and freeze again.* I think you're in zone 7, same as me.

Newt

Yes, that was a nice gift! I do NOT know the variety.

They were dug up in a long strip, all the roots intertwined. I pruned the roots to fit in the pots. Will they all (the roots) grow together into a ball?

Thanks for the input!;)

I'm really not sure how long it will take for a rootball to form.* The roots will continue to grow until a hard freeze, but they probably won't form a ball for a year or so.* Still, you can plant them in the spring when you're ready.* You should have some new root growth by then that will help them to get established in their new home.* Don't forget to water the pots if there is no rain.* You may have to check to make sure the soil in the pots is damp.

Newt