Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Is this the same as this?

If Home Depot or Lowe's offers Pro-Mix or Jiffy Mix, I'll just buy it there. If not then I'll probaly order Pro-Mix online ($5.39 for 8quarts)

The other soil you told me about (Gardener's Delight) Is that for seed starting? If it is then I'll just go buy that, since you suggest it and have used it before. Can't seem to find it on the internet though, only reviews.

I have some lids from honey containers. Could I use those?
    Yes, just so you lift the drainage tray up a little so the extra water can accumulate under it and not ruin anything its sitting on.

I missed this question before.* Sorry.* :?*
    Should I return the seeds/seed tray? And get possibly better branded ones?
    No, what you have is fine.

So probaly only the side yard might work good? My concern is the fence as the plot is right next to it and blocks the sun, but then other roses have grown fine there...
    The roses are tall, so you might have trouble.* I would suggest you try it and see if it works for you.* If the sun is higher in the sky in the summer it might be ok.* Remember that leafy greens don't need as much sun, so if you find that it's not 6 hours of sun or more, maybe plant lettuce there.

You have mentioned to plant the peppers in the back corner? The green stuff on the ground is moss. The area to the right of it is a bunch of flowers my dad had planted a couple years ago. I had thought it would be a good place, then asked my dad, my dad said no we can't dig it up. BUT if I can acheive a good harvest my dad might like it and can find space for more plot.
    Since it's moss you probably won't be able to grow much of anything there.* Moss grows where it's happy, and it's happy where the soil is damp and shady.*

Don't ask your dad to remove his plants until you've grown a garden for a couple of years and have a better understanding of growing veggies.

Here is another place that I could use
    It looks a bit hilly, but that might work if it gets enough sun and isn't shaded by the tree.

These are the areas where the sun shines like 8hours+ on a summer day
    The last picture looks like it has potential, but I am concerned about how much sun there will be once the trees have leaves.

Newt

The seed starting mixes are not the same.* Both are peat moss based, but one has perlite:
    seed starting mix with perlite

and the other has vermiculite:
    seed starting mix with vermiculite

Most potting soils have the perlite and some also have vermiculite too.* Both perlite and vermiculite are ground up rock, with the perlite usually larger particles.* When you go to the garden center at the hardware store, look to see if you can find a bag of each where they sell the potting soil so you will know what it looks like.* This site explains what they are and how they are used.
    http://progressivegardening.com/pott...ernatives.html

If you find the Gardener's Delight that would be just fine.* it contains both perlite and vermiculite, but they are tiny particles and the peat moss is also finely ground up.

Newt

I'l just go try it in the sideyard first. Is it possible to grow tomato plants for it's whole lifespan indoors with fluorescent lights?

Gardener's Delight seems hard to find. Or maybe I'm not searching hard enough.

Does this look like a good shop light? Expensive maybe

http://electrical.hardwarestore.com/...ht-463497.aspx

Is it possible to grow tomato plants for it's whole lifespan indoors with fluorescent lights?
    I've never tried it, but some folks in Alaska and other northern climates where it's dark most of the day use lights.* I don't remember what they use.* Do a google search with terms like:
    grow tomatoes + grow lights
    grow tomatoes + fluorescent lights

I'd love to know what you find out.

Gardener's Delight seems hard to find. Or maybe I'm not searching hard enough.
    Don't keep searching.* I did that last night and couldn't find them either.* There's no phone number on the bag.* Any light weight seed starting mix will do.* Don't stress yourself out about a brand.* If you go to the store and find some you can feel the bag and see how light weight it is.* Then lift a bag of potting soil!* You'll feel the difference.

I gave you a link for a shop light on that thread.* The cheaper the better as you'll only use it for a short time.* Ace hardware had one for about $11.00.* :)

Newt

Here's what I found about growing tomatoes indoors.

From scanning through these pages it is possible. On one of them I read that For tomatoes to produce fruits indoors you must use full spectrum lighting

How to Grow Tomatoes in your Indoor Garden

*http://www.colostate.edu/Dept/CoopExt/4dmg/VegFruit/tomatind.htm

*http://www.stretcher.com/stories/03/03mar17a.cfm

Here are three links to pages containing indoor tomato growing.

This is what I google searched

"How to grow tomatoes indoors"

and "Grow tomatoes + fluorescent lights"

I guss I give up on the Gardener's Delight...going with Pro-Mix now...

On one of them I read that For tomatoes to produce fruits indoors you must use full spectrum lighting
    That would be a grow light and they can be expensive.

Tube grow light

Newt

[user=5]Newt[/user] wrote:
    That would be a grow light and they can be expensive.

Newt
    Oh wow, guess I can't really get that.

Here's an Ace Hardware store locator.* Just put in your zip code and you can find out which ones are closest to you.
    http://www.insiderpages.com/store_fi...d/ace_hardware

Newt

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast