O.K. Here is what I know.
    He /she was found in moist soil about 3inches below ground.
    When touched tries to attack or scare.

Didn't succeed to scare me, so pretended to be completely dead. Lifeless!

I left it alone,went back after a few minutes and it moved.
    *I touched and tested the behavior a few times to see...It was alive!
    *I found two this past season,different ones at different times and locations.
    *Searched the area for another, no sign of another.Both got away when I left it unattended.No it wasnt the same one unless it wiggled 130 feet*LOL

Post your critter pics here!

What is this CRITTER??

Kale:)

Hi Kale,

What an interesting bug!* We don't have a forum to id critters, so this forum is just fine for posting.* I suspect your critter is some type of worm as I don't see any legs to indicate it might be the larval stage of some type of beetle, bug or amphibian.* I have searched for hours and can't find any worm that looks like that.* I would suggest you post a pic and ask at one of these sites.* Be sure to let them know where it was found as this first site is in Canada and how long it is.* If you have a pic with a coin or something else that shows the size relative to that object, that would be good to include.
    http://www.pestcontrolcanada.com/Que...his%20pest.htm
    http://www.whatsthatbug.com/

If this was found in the US, also ask at the local extension service for that state.*

I'd love to know if you find out what it is.

Newt

Hello Newt,
    *Im sorry, didn't realize I didn't have my zone there...

MI.Zone 5(b) depends on who you ask or who is talking *lol)
    Thank you very much for all your time and efforts.It can be rather fustrating.I do appreciate your efforts.
    *I have been knocking myself out trying to figure this one out.Several hours of time into this critter.(I have more but trying to figure this one out first)
    I thought Id ask a few forum friends before I posted in the "Whatsthatbugsite".I know once I get on there I will forget there is a sunset or rise.I love that site, searched there* but there is someothign new there everyday.Great Site..Thank you.

I don't think it was a worm because worms do not act DEAD and they sure don't* rattle up to hiss you. They are just* there wiggling about* defenseless.
    I have searched hi and low through my pics to see if I took a pic with a penny,I often do.I have been looking to see the original closer for little leggs or something.
    *I took several but havent renamed so they are just one of the very many numbers in evelopes...
    *I do know the second critter didn't pretend dead for long I ran to get my camera (not far) and when I got back ,,he was gone..out of the container. I put him in unless he camouflaged himeself...hummm.... I just thought of that! ,* which can be possible although I doubt it.. but, one never will know will one*LOL

I was thinking reptile, I did find a garter snake pic that looked like my little critter.
    here..
    http://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/de...rps/snakes.asp

second pic on the left.
    What do you think?
    Oh, he/she was between 2-3inches closer to 2 Im thinking.It was around sept or oct not recalling now..

Thanks a whole bunch Newt!
    Zone5MI.USA!

I thought of some type of reptile or amphibian too.* I looked a bit at a worm snake and also at others.* I couldn't find anything that looked like it.* You didn't mention any hissing in your first post so I abandoned that idea.* I think I might have kept searching if I'd thought it was a snake.* That is probably what it is, a young one that is hybernating since you are in Michigan.*

Please let me know if you find out what it is.* It's so interesting.

Newt

Im sorry I did mean to stress the hissing by stating* "When touched tries to attack or scare."

No actual hissing was heard, just the movements.

I did not find him /her now; it was in late summer early fall.

Just trying to figure what it is. What I may be up against come Spring.
    How to care or avoid.Wondering how many per nesting(?)where they would be hidden ,what time of year* what the babies eat and whatever it is I need to know to make them at home if in fact I want them to feel safe* here and/or how to scare them away if I do not.
    Thank you for your efforts in this critter puzzle:D You would go along the thought that it is a garter snake? Research it as such?

We only have 3 here in MI according to a site I found.

Now if I can find the rest of the info out I will be educated by spring!
    I hope they get to stay *lol

Thank-you.

Kale, sorry I misunderstood.* You said, "worms do not act DEAD and they sure don't* rattle up to hiss you," so I thought you meant it made a hissing noise or a rattle noise?* If so, look up images of juvenile rattle snakes for your state as well as the garters or any other snake in your area.* I still think contacting your local extension service might be a good idea.* Any zoos in your area where a herpitoligist might be helpful?* How about a pet shop that sells snakes?* It could be that someone released something exotic that shouldn't be there.

You've really got me curious.* I found this site that might be helpful.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...2995--,00.html

Newt

No problem Newt..
    I found this that states 3 kinds of garter snakes*
    *http://www.gartersnake.info/species/...ate=michigan**

then on the other MI site* that you posted there are more,I just may find all my info

there if not..I still have time to get armed with info until spring*lol

Thanks again.

I'm going to just conclude that it was a baby garter snake...

If I remember from the other forum where we met, you live in an established neighborhood, not in the country.* I wouldn't just assume it's a garter snake, especially since you saw more then one and they appeared to be juveniles.* I hope you can id it.* Maybe a fiield guide from the library would be helpful.

Newt