Thread: Insect control

Hybrid View

Last year, the grasshoppers devoured every variety of tomato in my garden except for my grape tomato (Moby), which for whatever reason they had no interest in.* Does anyone know of another variety that the grasshoppers won't take a liking to?* Thanks!

Hi Garden Gnome,

I've never heard of grasshoppers feeding on one particular tomato plant and not on another.* I'm wondering if your tomatoes that were eaten were purchased as transplants.* If so, the eggs of the grasshoppers might have come along with the plants.* I had that happen once with a conifer I had purchased.* The grasshoppers suddenly emerged from the soil in the pot and the plant died.* No other potted plants were effected.

Here's some info on grasshoppers and some organic ideas for dealing with them.
    http://www.ghorganics.com/page12.html

I do hope you have better luck this year.* :)
    Newt

I hadn't considered that.* They were all transplants, including the Moby tomato, but they came from several different nurseries.* I'll experiment this year by starting some plants from seed and by planting some transplants from local nurseries, and I'll post the results from my experiment.* Thanks, Newt!* Lori

Lori, you are so very welcome!* I'd love to know how this year goes for you.

Newt

Update on grasshopper problem

I saw lots of grasshoppers this year (I feel sure that they are coming from the field behind the house). I never did solve the mystery as to why they ate every variety but Moby Grape last year, but I am happy to report that I did not lose a single tomato to the grasshoppers this year (I had eight varieties). I recently found out from the Extension office that planting something in the garden from the onion family can help to ward off pests. This year I planted leeks, and last year I did not. Whether this is why I did not have a grasshopper problem this year, I can't say. The plot thickens...