I've had this dwarf palm for about five years now, and in late October (after a spate of new growth) I re-potted it in some fairly rich soil and in a much larger pot.* I also moved it from a hanging basket in a (somewhat obstructed) southern window to a shelf by a northern window.* (I'm in southern Wisconsin.)

About six or seven weeks after I re-potted it, I saw a small, thin shoot with some branching pop up, and a day or two after that I noticed a _lot_ of regularly spaced small round bumps on this new growth.* Within the next week, two or three more have sprouted, as well.

My first thought was that it was a parasite that came along with the new soil, but it's a healthy-looking plant, and the spots looked so orderly that I didn't think it was anything terrible.* It occurred to me that this might well be the plant's flowering or seeding structure, but I haven't had enough experience with this type of plant to know.* Anybody got a clue?* (Also, if you know the genus name, that would be wonderful.)

Hi Hiryuu,

I'm not sure of the genus, but I think it's some type of dwarf parlor palm aka Chamaedorea.* There are over 100 species of these from Mexico.* You are correct that what you are seeing is the flowering structure that will eventually form fruit if pollinated.* Here's a picture of a large variety in flower with some fruits that have formed.
    http://www.lundkvistpalmgarden.com/web/Chamaedorea.html

If you look very carefully at this one you can see the flowering structure in a less mature state.
    http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/i...siefritzii.jpg

Newt

Newt,

Much thanks!* I suspected that it was something along those lines.* Are chamaedorea typically self-pollinating?* This is the only one in the house, so I wouldn't expect it to fruit unless there doesn't need to be another plant of this type around.* (Then again, I don't think I would have expected it to flower going into our wintertime here, but the timing of fresh soil and a change in lighting might well have done it.)* :)

Hiryuu, you are very welcome!* I did a google with the term:
    chamaedorea + pollinate and it appears they are pollinated by insect induced wind, but there are male and female plants. :(* The males flower more prolifically then the females.* I'm not sure what "insect induced wind" is.* I'm not including any links as those that I found and looked at were quite scientific, but feel free to repeat my search.

Do keep in mind that I'm not POSITIVE of the genus of your palm, so you might give it a try and see what happens.* Do a google search with terms like:
    pollinate palm
    pollinating palm
    and so on.* It might be an interesting project.

I don't think I would have expected it to flower going into our wintertime here, but the timing of fresh soil and a change in lighting might well have done it.
    I agree.* I've had things like that happen with potted indoor plants.* :)

Newt