Hi, I have a potted avacado seedling that I noticed began to die atthe top of the plant tabout a week ago.* I cut of the dead area and I noticed the plant is still slowly dying.* I transplanted it but that did not help either.* This is my first time to grow an avacado and I am truly at a lost.* Doese anyone have an idea if there is something I can do to save this seedling?:(

Hi Lilbitbrownsugar,

Not really enough info here to be able to help you.* You don't say what type of soil you've potted it in, how long it was in the pot before you repotted it, if the potting soil you used had slow release fertilizer added to it ( a common problem), if you fertilized (especially if the potting soil already had slow release fertilizer), what type of sun conditions, when do you water (when the soil is dry or slightly dry?), etc.* Here's how to grow an a
    http://www.avocado.org/about/growing-avocado

Hope that helps,
    Newt

Thanks. I will check out the site.* I started the seedling last spring and it is in regular potting soil.* I use a fruit tree fertizer I bought from Garden Alive but I don't have the package available so I don't know the name or if it is a slow release or not.* As for sun light it was sitting where it got steady sun from noon till dusk, although not full sun at all times.* I have since set it out in full sun, but I think I am too late to save it.

If you purchased a fertilizer from Gardens Alive it was most likely organic and shouldn't be a problem.* If you still have the bag of potting soil check to see if that has slow release fertilizer in it.* Most of them do now.* Maybe you've overwatered.

Newt

Newt,

I looked at the avocado website. and I must say I disagree
    with a few things. The toothpick thing is entirely unnecessary.
    Put the seed on top of a planter full of potting soil and wait,
    don't forget to water occasionally, but it's not a plant yet so
    it won't need much. I have never cut ours back, and some of
    the best avocados I have eaten came from wild trees (of course
    I have also had rather bad avocados from wild trees).

Aloha,
    Maren
    (in Hilo, HI, where avocados can get invasive)

[user=3825]lilbitbrownsugar[/user],
    Did you try to start another avacado Plant?
    It's Easy!!!!!!!

*Insert in soil about 3inches* down and water well.
    Leave then check occasionally (depending on* the humidity and temps). Water when needed.Do not soak!
    I had mine indoors with* some sunlight (rather gloomy* throughout winter here in Zone 5) It did nothing for months then one week of May '07 (when I left to visit mother at the hospital in NYS )
    It decided to grow!!!!!!!!!!! a few feet!!!!!!!!! It is still a few feet tall only it is near the East window where it will* have a better chance of getting sunlight .I did plant the pit in a pot so big that I will not have to transplant it :) I sure didnt think it would ever do a thing!
    I water when I think of it ,being it is a big pot ,it works for it..
    I did forget about it for a while there earlier this garden season, it lost several leaves but bounced right back.I dont forget the tall skinny* thing any more.

You are corrrect Maren,A stick isnt needed but some like to grow it like that....
    They say that about Sweet potato too...
    I just put it 1/2 way in water and watch it grow.
    If I cut mine back, I would have a stick *LOL
    I dont plant to eat I just wanted to see if I can grow it*LOL

Kale:)