Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    There are columnar trees that only grow 15' wide or so in the crown. Here's some examples. If there is something you like we can research further as I have some info on a few others.
    Urban Forestry Services, Inc. - Wholesale Tree Nursery - Trees for Limited Spaces

Another option might be some type of solar shades on the windows. They tend to be expensive for large windows (I have a similar situation), but you can get them in different intensities of shading and different colors.
    solar shades for windows - Google Image Search

Newt

I'm doing solar shades now, and they help quite a bit. I bought the kits at Home Depot, and did 10 of various sizes for about $100. Not bad really~ $10/per window. My dilemma is needing to plant something so close to the fence line that it'll grow over into neighbors yard (w/subsequent leaf mess in the fall), esp. if it's a large leaf deciduous instead of evergreen. Thanks for the nursery link, looks helpful.

Great buy on the solar shades! My problem is the smallest window is about 102" wide.

You said: "I have a space about 8-10 feet from house to the fence, and I'd like something that grows fast but won't make a mess (ie. anything w/big leaves), as some of it will grow over the neighbors property and I don't want them complaining about it. It's an area that gets alot of water, as it has a gradient to provide runoff lane to curb. Any fast growing (evergreen if possible) you can think of?"

So I'm guessing that the fence is a chain link fence. You also mentioned: "I was thinking a fast growing shade tree that would grow 20-30' and shade roof." That makes me think you have a one story house?

So what's the maximum width and height you want these evergreen shrubs? Sun conditions must be full sun if you need to shade it from afternoon sun. What's your hardiness zone? I'm asking these two questions because there are some very narrow (2' to 3' wide at maturity) shrubs that are evergreen that might work.

Newt

House is 2 story on the east side, 1 story on the west, where in front is our study/office and master bed/bath are in rear. So it gets warm on the west side wall late in the summer. I installed radiant barrier foil to the rafters of most of the house except the west side, where I need it most. There's no access to this area via the attic, that's why I'd like to shade master bed/bath
    with a tree or two. I strongly recommend radiant barrier.
    I'm in the DFW area, just NE of Dallas, so what zone is that?

I suspect you are in zone 7 or 8. Here's a zip code zone finder.
    http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

We also used the radiant barrier on the west and south sides of our house when we re-sided. It made a huge difference. We also replaced all the sliding glass doors and the windows with low-e glass. It cut our utility bill in half.

So here's some columnar trees that might work for you. They are deciduous, so they will shed their leaves, but the extra sun in the winter should be a plus.
    http://www.urbanforestryservices.com...itedspaces.htm

Here's a copy of a post from a cyber friend on another forum whoes name is Quirky Quercus (one is evergreen at the bottom):

I highly recommend Apollo Sugar Maple 'Barrett Cole' (sp?)
    Very dense branching, not too upright, almost horizatal branching, large leaves. Been said to look like a child in adult's clothing. I have 3 of them in my yard and don't have a single complaint. They are everything a columnar tree should be and also semi-dwarf to boot, reportedly only to 8x25 so even in the smallest garden you can find space. Fall color is a 10. didn't lose a single leaf in summer heat.

Another one of my favorite columnars is Liriodendron tulipifera 'Arnold'. Maturing around 16'x70', these have performed great for me. There are some nearby that have been in the ground a number of years I suppose and they also look good. The fall color is great only my one complaint is this one for some reason or another... the leaves do not fall quickly they turn yellow then brown then stay on the tree til they're all ready to drop. Still a worthwhile tree but not as good as the species for fall foliage for that reason.

Another one I like a lot for quality fine textured foliage and dense branching is European Hornbeam 'Franz Fontaine' Note; variable spelling on that cultivar... some spell it FranS. Other than japanese beetle damage this one is a tough street tree and can make a nice hedge, has that strong wood you're looking for an branching looks nice even in winter. Slow growing!!! Rootballs are small though so may make planting easier for you.

Lets see... I've also got a sugar maple 'Steeple', not quite a true columnar, with an upright oval to 20x70', supposed to be of southern lineage as in Athens GA. Great tree, fall color is not all that. Does fine in the heat extremes as do the Apollos by the way.

I recently saw some Princeton Sentry gingos that went in at a shopping ctr around 4" cal and they had a nice form. In the past I've mentioned how mine looks like a scarecrow but it's only about 1.75" so seeing these does offer some hope for the future.
    ^^^^ Referring to ginkgo biloba 'Princeton Sentry'

White pine 'fastigiata' 5'x25' ... I made a grouping with them in my small yard
    Google those, even clicking on 'Images' and see if there are any you like.

Newt

Marked! I will come back to check this soon!thanks a lot.:-)
    demande credit
    immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
    courtier
    Une simulation credit immobilier de France
    a faire un
    pret.
    demande
    credit immobilier simulation pret de france taux calcul
    courtier

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12