Raised Bed Vegatable Gardening
I would like to see a discussion on Raised Bed Vegatable Gardening. If it is already here I must have missed it.
Here are my thoughts on raised beds:
- No matter how bad your existing soil is, you can just build a raised bed on top of it, with new soil in it.
- Good for your back, if you build a high enough bed
- Less likely to suffer from soil compaction because there's a clear boundary between walking areas and growing areas
- Gives you another excuse to spend most of your time outside in the garden ;-)
- Costs more than usual row gardening
- It takes time to build raised beds
- Must be made of high quality wood in order to survive the weather
I agree with Thomas.
Raised Bed Gardening
I love raised bed gardening!
I have eight beds; four foot wide by eight foot long by two foot high.
They are still snow-covered and awaiting the warmth of the sun [as am I]!
What are your raised beds constructed from?
The beds are constructed of 2" x 12" CA [copper azone] lumber. I know that treated lumber is considered a "no-no" by some but I believe that what I am utilizing is the best alternative.
Hopefully, I am right.